• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Cellulose struture. (3 Viewers)

Haku

i did not see the important of knowing this until i saw a discussion saying its vitally important.

so can some one using words describe the structure of cellulose. and also describe its bonding and stuff.

and also compare these with the structure and bonding of sacrose, starch and stuff.

thankyou

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Do you use CC? Everything is in it =) (P.443-453)

Basically cellulose and starch are both polymers of glucose. The only difference is the orientation of individual glucose units. At this stage it's best to remember it this way: cellulose have -CH2OH groups on opposite sides whereas starch have them on the same side. I'm sure you're smart enough to figure out what's the difference between sucrose and glucose :) (Don't be confused by the alpha and beta stuff, just remember it =) If you are really keen on knowing, ask again!) Oh, and make sure you know how to draw them, too...

Haku

i kinda know how to draw cellulose, and form ur description i am pretty sure i know starch too.

for the polymerisation of glucose to cellulose, for every addition of glucoses monomer would there be an extra water molecule condensed out?

Haku

Abtari said:
yes, yes there would be
so say the polymer chain is 6 glucose monomer long, than that means there would be 5 water condensed out right?

stef.

yes, there will be 5 water molecules condensed out of that particular reaction

Haku

k thanks, and the CH2OH and the OH bonding would be zigzag to each other right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)