• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

centrelink youth allowance (1 Viewer)

kahuna14

HSC
if u get youth allowance rite, n u start working, wats the max u can earn, or how does centrelink deal with this?

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Last edited:

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
I am sooo confused by the centrelink website since I can't get a straight answer from em...so I'll see if anyone here knows: my current situation is single, over 18, living independently at home with parents, studying full time (have a part-time job). Am I elgible for youth allowance or not?

HSC
natstar said:
If you are considered independent then you can get it, otherwise ur parents income will be assessed. If you have a part time job, ur current income would have to be assessed.
It's really hard to figure out I know, cuz im going off my experience, tho i live away from home independly and rent and live by myself and i dont have a job.
I found this info booklet that my uni made up pretty helpful.
http://www.uws.edu.au/about/adminorg/academic/ods/dollarsandsense/section2/ya
yeah it relies heavily on ur parents income.. (if ur 'rents r divorced, go off the one with the lowest income) and im pretty sure u can be earing up to around 260 without it bein affected

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Woo hoo I got my letter today to say I qualified for YA! Yay!

Just out of curiosity after my dad started asking questions, what are the ramifications if you don't report your income correctly? How could centrelink catch you out? Do they audit at the end of financial year? With 6 weeks remaining in this financial year, if one told some fibs about their income what would the ramifications be? Would they be likely to get caught out?

This is just a hypothetical situation. My dad has a personal interest in things like this for some reason.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
that's only if you're dependent on them. What about independent (supporting yourself)? Anyway the parental income threshold is like $28k, that's just ridiculous, stingy government

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
May I ask what your situation is? From what I gather you are studying full time, working part time, and you rent your own place? How much income do you earn from your job and is it full YA or part YA that you are going to get?

HSC
yenta said:
that's only if you're dependent on them. What about independent (supporting yourself)? Anyway the parental income threshold is like $28k, that's just ridiculous, stingy government
Yeah its gay.. i cant get it cuz my rents' earn too much. its like geez just cuz they earn money duzent mean they give it to u!

HSC
braindrainedAsh said:

Just out of curiosity after my dad started asking questions, what are the ramifications if you don't report your income correctly? How could centrelink catch you out? Do they audit at the end of financial year? With 6 weeks remaining in this financial year, if one told some fibs about their income what would the ramifications be? Would they be likely to get caught out?

This is just a hypothetical situation. My dad has a personal interest in things like this for some reason.
i so wouldnt risk it. if u get caught u have to pay it all back, and im pretty sure there are heavier consequenses than that. U have to sign a letter saying u earn x amount of money, as do ur rents (if u r livin with them).. lol try it if u like, but be careful

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Do you think they would randomly audit someone who just started on YA?

For whoever asked, I am a FT student who lives away from home and earnt over $17000 in 18 months and hence is now considered as independent from my parents.

Last edited:

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
Do you think they would randomly audit someone who just started on YA?

For whoever asked, I am a FT student who lives away from home and earnt over $17000 in 18 months and hence is now considered as independent from my parents.
Eh. Earning $17 000 is hard. Struggling to find a 3rd job in this town (hopefully wil turn into 2nd job if person wants me for fri and sat nite)...Ash would you know anywhere? I'm applying for Commerical Club, SSA...my hours are frigged cause I'm working from 7am til 4.30pm and earning $7.60 an hour. OH WOE IS ME. Who wants to employ a girl who can only work from 5pm til 12pm 7 nights a week. Oh and all day sat and sun.

(Praying CEO of Commerical Club is reading this)

DAMN STINGY GOVERNMENT. They have no idea how hard it is getting $17 000 together when you're in a jobless country town. GRRR.

*end rant*

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
i have a few q's, as someone who will get her first centrelink youth allowance payment in about a week...

1) is the payment taxed/taxable?

2) natstar, do you get rent assistance, if so, how much do you get? also, i may soon be renting somewhere where i WONT be a name on the lease, how do i prove i am renting? and how long does it take to get rent assistance approved?

edit: skillo, you should definitely get a bar job

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Skillo said:
DAMN STINGY GOVERNMENT. They have no idea how hard it is getting $17 000 together when you're in a jobless country town. GRRR.

*end rant*
Fuckin oath how the fuck are you supposed to earn $17 000 when you're studying full time hence can only work part time and since we're young we don't get a great wage....damn the government is stingy, first they say your parents have to earn under 28k for you to get YA, second if you're independent, you have to be earning not much less than a full time wage to get it. It's the people who earn under that amount and live away from home who need it most. That is so fucked

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Skillo I don't know anywhere at the moment.... and god bar jobs are sooooo DAMN hard to to get in Albury! I mean, my parents know most of the owners of the local pubs and they reckon they get soooo many resumes for people wanting bar jobs, but they don't need that many staff!

It's so hard to earn the money in Albury, that's part of the reason why I didn't defer a year, it is so easy to find a job in Sydney.

Funnily enough not that many people want my parent's graveyard dishpig shifts at our shop.... 11pm-7am shifts aren't very popular, even in a place with as few jobs as Albury!!!

If I hear anything I will tell ya.... have you tried applying for the supermarkets? yes it's a crap job (i'm doing the coles thing now) but it's easy and the pay is decent. It's even hard to get a supermarket job in Albury grrr.

Where are you working that is paying you so badly? PM me if you want.

Maybe the amount you have to earn for independence should vary on where you live lol.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
yeah, i think it should. and 17,000 is incredibly hardto attain for most full-time students- the only reason i made it, is because i didnt study second semester last year and just worked full time. otherwise, you'd be jeaopardising passing if you worked that much to try and get it in 18 months. i dunno how you do it ash.

natstarrr if you see this i still wanna know about the rent assistance thing i asked on the page before this

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
err why do you need to earn money to get benefits payments?? thats a bit retarded....dont u get the money so you dont have to work while ur studying??

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Nope, you have to earn enough to be declared "independent" first.... it's a pretty stupid system in many ways.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
There definately has to be a way to get rent assistance if your name isn't on the lease because a lot of uni students live in sharehouses where their names aren't on the lease... you probably just need to provide the details of the person you pay rent to.... maybe show a bank statement that shows your rent being deducted or something? There would be ways. Spin spin you should ring them, I rang up one day and asked heaps of questions and the guy I got on the phone was really helpful and answered everything quite well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)