• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Chances of combini a communications degree with International Studies after 1st yr??? (1 Viewer)

Sugar

HSC
I want to do Public Communications, combined with International Studies but the problem is that I don't think I can get the UAI. I'll most likely be able to get into the Pub Communications course, but I really want to do it with the International Studies component.

Is it really difficult to transfer after first year? What marks would I be looking to obtain in first year?

I was thinking of doing International Studies by itself at either UNSW or USYD, but they are more inclinated towards politics. I just want to learn languages, so the UTS international studies component is looking more appealing to me.

Thanks in advance. :D

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
It's pretty easy to get a transfer in to international studies after first year. You don't actually start the international studies componant of the course until second year, so you won't even miss anything if you get in to it after first year. As for grades, UTS communications is ungraded in first year, it's just pass/fail. The UTS languages component is very much focused on language and culture, not politics or whatever so it sounds like what you are looking for.

But basically, it is not very hard to transfer in to international studies, a lot of people drop it after their first year and decide they just want to do a straight degree... because you are ungraded I think they go off your personal statement or whatever. I actually haven't heard of anyone that hasn't been able to transfer in to international studies after first year... but I mean, obviously it's not a given thing, but it isn't that bad.

I thought I wanted to do international studies with my degree, and I was told if I didn't quite get in to the combined then I could easily transfer, but I was more interested in the political stuff rather than the language factor so for me that was a negetive and I changed my mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)