changes to cse courses (1 Viewer)

venom

1.5th year uni student
HSC
how have you been affected by the changes to the cse courses?

I failed 1711 last year, and did 1011 in session 2. On the down side, I wont be able to do 1721 this year, because it no longer exists (they're offering 1021 one last time in session 1). On the up side, I get Richard for 1021-which means good assignments and fun lectures.

Last edited:

gman03

HSC
I had to learn Data Org in java rather than the new Data Org in C.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Thats for Elec Eng students.

comp1921 is like data org in C.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
I don't know if this has something to do with the changes but it's bloody annoying that all the COMP3xxx courses are night classes which starts after 4-6pm and most goes for 3hours...
It's annoying because all the commerce subjects starts in the morning!

ace

is retired
HSC
redslert said:
I don't know if this has something to do with the changes but it's bloody annoying that all the COMP3xxx courses are night classes which starts after 4-6pm and most goes for 3hours...
It's annoying because all the commerce subjects starts in the morning!
In addition, the rather annoying cull of COMP3XXX subjects in semester 2. Makes it bloody impossible to do everything you really want to do.

Also the night classes 6-9pm, that just pisses me off. You'd think they'd be able to find better lecture times, eh. Oh well, guess not.

gman03

HSC
According to richard's reply to ace's post on cse forum, it appears people will still have to do Haskell.... Poor elec eng people...

And agree about COMP3XXX availbility.... what can't they put Comp Arch in first sem as well.... grrrr

ace

is retired
HSC
gman03 said:
According to richard's reply to ace's post on cse forum, it appears people will still have to do Haskell.... Poor elec eng people...

And agree about COMP3XXX availbility.... what can't they put Comp Arch in first sem as well.... grrrr
Hey G, good to know your tracking my movements on different forums, with my different usernames. Heheh, I feel stalked :)

gman03

HSC
Sorry ace for stalking you, couldn't help recognising your initials everywhere.

So back on topic, changes to cse courses, I wonder will people learn C++ in Data Structure & Algo this year.

ace

is retired
HSC
gman03 said:
Sorry ace for stalking you, couldn't help recognising your initials everywhere.
Its ok G (hope you don't mind me calling you that). I got bored, so I started replying in the somewhat dead CSE forums. You should check out COMP1021 this current summer session. I alreadly like the dude who teaches that, his CLOWN of the week awards (rather stupid e-mails from selected students) and his comments to them. Priceless.

gman03 said:
So back on topic, changes to cse courses, I wonder will people learn C++ in Data Structure & Algo this year.
Yeah, back to the topic at hand, infering from the post from Richard on the CSE forums, seems they will just learn C. Anyways, once you know C/Java, C++ is easy to pick up. Btw, what comp courses you taking this semester G?

sunny

meh.
HSC
redslert said:
bloody annoying that all the COMP3xxx courses are night classes which starts after 4-6pm and most goes for 3hours...
They let people work during the day, or sleep in.

ace said:
In addition, the rather annoying cull of COMP3XXX subjects in semester 2. Makes it bloody impossible to do everything you really want to do.
Alot more of the 3xxx subjects used to run in both sessions....cut backs.

ace said:
Also the night classes 6-9pm, that just pisses me off. You'd think they'd be able to find better lecture times, eh. Oh well, guess not.
Its timetabled 6-9, they usually finish earlier than that.

ace

is retired
HSC
sunny said:
Alot more of the 3xxx subjects used to run in both sessions....cut backs.
Yeah I know, CSE is quite in debt. It would figure why they closed the ElecEng labs, then now closing some of the not-so-populated courses.

CSE is on a rolling 3yr accounting books system. Before in the past, the good fortune of earlier years/later years minimised any downfalls. But as the computing industry has taken a general nose-dive over the past few years, the 3yr rolling system will just come to bite them in the backside hard.

Oh well, guess we must hope that they don't keep on cutting classes.

------------------------------
On a totally, unrelated topic. Sunny about COMP4411(exp robo), do you get to design/make/program your own robot (if you choose to), or you have to use one of the robots that unsw owns? (like those weird looking ET robots, the pioneer one I think)

sunny

meh.
HSC
ace said:
On a totally, unrelated topic. Sunny about COMP4411(exp robo), do you get to design/make/program your own robot (if you choose to), or you have to use one of the robots that unsw owns? (like those weird looking ET robots, the pioneer one I think)
You can make your own if you want, but they discourage it because there isn't alot of time to make your own and make it work well.

gman03

HSC
Hahahahaha so Haskell is not dead, just disguise in richards new eng1000 course.... hahahahahahahha and I thought how luck people who don't have to do haskell hahahaha Of course or otherwise manuel's haskell book will be in the bin hahahaa

end laughing

ace

is retired
HSC
gman03 said:
Hahahahaha so Haskell is not dead, just disguise in richards new eng1000 course.... hahahahahahahha and I thought how luck people who don't have to do haskell hahahaha Of course or otherwise manuel's haskell book will be in the bin hahahaa

end laughing
People used a book for haskell? Shame, shame shame shame. jk.

I think haskell is fine as a learning language and as an introduction to the functional paradigm, which one would otherwise not come to experience given free choice.

I think the only other functional language CSE teaches is Prolog (I might check one day if CSE teaches more functional lanaguages). Btw if anyone wants to learn prolog, the course is comp3411, artificial intelligence. Hmm, I haven't even started the course and im alreadly advertisting it, hehe.

Last edited:

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Talking to Richard, he said that he perfers Haskell as an intro language because there is little syntax and so he can teach pure programming after a couple of weeks. Where as for C you continuously teach syntax throughout the session which can get confusing for first time programmers.

And the reason why they named the course "engineering" was because of the government funding. Apparently when a course is named 'Computering', the government pays less compared to a course with 'engineering' in the title.

Last edited:

gman03

HSC
"Computering in Engineering 1A" .. funding = 2x

sasalove

HSC
Good luck to those studying the final offerings of Computing 1B!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)