• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Characterisation in Rosencrantz.... (1 Viewer)

rhinoivory

OK

I know that Ros and Guil represent the powerlessness of human beings and this is how the audience can become actively involved as veing voyeurs throughout the play because they can sympathise with these two central characters that are no different from me and you.

I know that these actors were originally marginal, and did little more than propel the story.

I know that they have changed from being deceitful spies into an innocent duo of existentialists.

I know that Hamlet has been transformed from an intelligent idenitity to a ruthless cunning bastard that "propels" the story.

I know that Hamlet becomes marginal, Ros and Guil become the protagonists, but they still feel like spectators.

Is this all correct?

Can anyone give me a good insighful link or pointers on charecterisation? I'm having trouble coming to grips with it.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
ur doin fine.. but flesh it out a bit; and remember to think about why the characterisation is like that (context!!!)

you can examine it by either looking at how the characters have transformed from play to play, or by examining the protagonists in each play.. and then linking it to the transformation;

hamlet's the tragic hero, rite? wants order, seeking revenge, wants action yadayada.. say why it relates to context (elizabethan priority of order)... mention that ros n guild play only minor roles, but you don't need to go on too much, i think.

in the transformation, the focus shifts to the minor characters; they still remain antiheroes, bewildered in a world they can't comprehend. the characterisation emphasises their lostness in a world without direction (representative of Existentialist philosophy). Hamlet's character is transformed into one occupying a minor role in the play; everythign he does is humourously degraded by R&G eg the 2B or not 2B is made incredibly stupid with weirdass comments "what's he doing?" "selling toffee apples?"... all highlighting the meaninglessness of life and the futility of trying to comprehend it..

perhaps i've just blabbed on about nothing... >.<
post another msg up if i'm confusing u or i'm going round in circles.. i tend to do that a bit...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)