• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

chat im i screwed (1 Viewer)

aqwerty13402

HSC
my ranking for maths standard is so bad 117/162... can i recover from this??? yr 11 btw and i go to 200 plus rank school (public)
Ranks reset for year 12. Just figure out how to study for maths this year, then smash it out next year. I came last in 5.3 maths in year 10, and ive improved drastically. u got this

katiekms

HSC
my ranking for maths standard is so bad 117/162... can i recover from this??? yr 11 btw and i go to 200 plus rank school (public)
don’t worry, it only matters in year 12 because your year 11 ranks don’t count. (coming from a rank 1 standard 2 maths who was average in advanced maths)
i’m sure you’re already doing this, but a big thing for me is making summary sheets for each topic (with subheadings for every different lesson to keep it super organised) and then going through past hsc questions with the summary sheets available. once you get more comfortable in your knowledge, do past hsc questions without the summary sheets to activate your long term memory and all that jazz. make sure you continually go over topics you’ve already moved on from to keep it locked in your brain.
i hope this helps!!

Test-king12

Banned
HSC
don’t worry, it only matters in year 12 because your year 11 ranks don’t count. (coming from a rank 1 standard 2 maths who was average in advanced maths)
i’m sure you’re already doing this, but a big thing for me is making summary sheets for each topic (with subheadings for every different lesson to keep it super organised) and then going through past hsc questions with the summary sheets available. once you get more comfortable in your knowledge, do past hsc questions without the summary sheets to activate your long term memory and all that jazz. make sure you continually go over topics you’ve already moved on from to keep it locked in your brain.
i hope this helps!!
damn you really had to put that much effort into standard i dont do allat for real math 🤣

Test-king12

Banned
HSC
it’s really not that much effort i’m afraid to say. you’re just lazy ig. and ive got a 100% average so i think it’s paying off either way.
buddy thats my not far off average for advanced and i dont study for it (i also go to a competitive school so i dont get gifted exams 🤣 )

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
i hope this helps!!
Summary sheets are not effective. Maths is heavily practice based. Not something you can rote learn, especially for advanced syllabus and above.

katiekms

HSC
Summary sheets are not effective. Maths is heavily practice based. Not something you can rote learn, especially for advanced syllabus and above.
i understand other people may have different experiences, im just sharing what has been effective for me. i agree that in order to succeed in maths you need to practice, which is why i talked about doing past hsc questions both with and without summary sheets available. what i’ve said was also only directed for maths standard 2 (and 1 i guess) since that’s the subject i’m doing. i appreciate your input though!

tvmm

HSC
don’t worry about it! you can recover, just put in the effort. do a lot of past paper questions to solidify your knowledge in the topic. you’ve got this :)

iloveeggs

HSC
i think katiekms said that they use summary sheets and not that that's the only thing they do for math (at least i hope so). summary sheets and notes can be useful for some and totally not for others. for math its not the most effective thing to do for most people but it defo works for some.

also im assuming that by summary notes its not like full on words, probably just common question types and formulas and questions they got wrong and stuff. ik ppl in my 2u cohort that keep practice problems and annotate the answer which helps them understand the process, and this works well for them.

definitely not rote learning because they don't memorise it entirely, it's just the process of writing things down that helps. people that makes these kinds of notes just to quickly refresh their memory they refer to it when practising until they don't need to anymore. kind of like a cheat sheet ig.

i used to do this too but not like full on notes, just for formulas and acronyms that im new to. i don't see whats wrong with ppl doing what works for them 🤷‍♀️

iloveeggs

HSC
not sure how insightful i can be bc im also in y11 but i reckon you can 👍 y12 isnt linked to y11 also its only been one term

katiekms

HSC
i think katiekms said that they use summary sheets and not that that's the only thing they do for math (at least i hope so). summary sheets and notes can be useful for some and totally not for others. for math its not the most effective thing to do for most people but it defo works for some.

also im assuming that by summary notes its not like full on words, probably just common question types and formulas and questions they got wrong and stuff. ik ppl in my 2u cohort that keep practice problems and annotate the answer which helps them understand the process, and this works well for them.

definitely not rote learning because they don't memorise it entirely, it's just the process of writing things down that helps. people that makes these kinds of notes just to quickly refresh their memory they refer to it when practising until they don't need to anymore. kind of like a cheat sheet ig.

i used to do this too but not like full on notes, just for formulas and acronyms that im new to. i don't see whats wrong with ppl doing what works for them 🤷‍♀️
yes this is exactly it! formulas and key info that i need to remember. it really helps with memorising stuff like that (for me) because after a while of doing questions with the summary sheets you find yourself not needing to look at them anymore.

jonolad69

HSC
buddy thats my not far off average for advanced and i dont study for it (i also go to a competitive school so i dont get gifted exams 🤣 )
this girl wont ever stop talking about her one 100% in a math standard 2 exam. holding onto that mark for dear life 😭 😭

seems like it's her biggest accomplishment the way she's brought it up 10 times

katiekms

HSC
this girl wont ever stop talking about her one 100% in a math standard 2 exam. holding onto that mark for dear life 😭 😭

1. i’m allowed to be proud 2. it wasn’t one exam, it is literally my average for all of year 12 and the end of year 11 3. why are you so obsessed with me

jonolad69

HSC
1. i’m allowed to be proud 2. it wasn’t one exam, it is literally my average for all of year 12 and the end of year 11 3. why are you so obsessed with me
your school is giving out 100s like oprah man relax yourself

iloveeggs

HSC

their advice is still valid bc the person posting this is literally asking about math standard, and a 100 at the end of the day is still 100. just let them be, clearly they have some sort of constructive advice to give here and you lot are just complaining abt them in this thread about someone needing advice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)