chem prac (1 Viewer)

R

randhi

hey guys

i have to do this prac on the identification of cations and anions and i've done my research but i have no idea how they might give this prac. okay so i know what i have to do to find the anions and cations present but could they give me a substance that has more than two substances present in it?? or is it only going to be one?? or am i just being paranoid and ihave nothing to worry about?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
The most likely prac is that you will be given some unknowns - either as a solid or as a solution, and you have to identify the cation and / or anion by a series of tests.

You are unlikely to be given a mixture, as they aren't easy to analyse with the equipment in a high school lab in the likely time available.

R

randhi

for the hazards involved with this prac, do u just have to ensure that all the corrosive and heavy metals are not chucked down the sink.

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
The most likely prac is that you will be given some unknowns - either as a solid or as a solution, and you have to identify the cation and / or anion by a series of tests.
we had a prac asessment similar to this...but nobody recieved full marks as nobody performed the experiment twice, or used two chemicals to clearly identify the cation present...moraL of the story MAKE SURE YOU USE MORE THAN ONE CHEMICAL SO THERE IS NO AMBIGUITY IN RESULTS!!!

thankyou lol

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by randhi
for the hazards involved with this prac, do u just have to ensure that all the corrosive and heavy metals are not chucked down the sink.
not sure if you will get to use organic substance, but they are to be discharged into prepared containers...

although i think acid and bases can be discharged with sufficient amount of water into the sink... but just to be safe, u want to discharge everything into the container provided... ^^

heavy metal definitely NOT to be discarded into sinks...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)