Chem pracs in the HSC (1 Viewer)

indeed

HSC
I've heard that the HSC could get you to recall specific practicals you've done in class (that are in syllabus). I've been told to remember the general method of it (not word for word), and can make up specific numerical value in exam. Do I need to memorise the results of those practicals if they want us to recall it (e.g. red cabbage indicator in Mod 6 - pH scale colours for red cabbage)?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I've heard that the HSC could get you to recall specific practicals you've done in class (that are in syllabus). I've been told to remember the general method of it (not word for word), and can make up specific numerical value in exam. Do I need to memorise the results of those practicals if they want us to recall it (e.g. red cabbage indicator in Mod 6 - pH scale colours for red cabbage)?
not the exact results - but remember pracs have an aim that's relevant to the syllabus content and thus you're meant to know/remember the conclusion obtained from the results, rather than the results themselves, as well as the method (eg. a possible question could be outline/describe a procedure you have done that can blah'), and if it's appropriate to understand the trend (even if you forget it, if you know your content you can deduce the trend for the procedure anyway) for red cabbage indicator you could just say 'this group of substances had a range of colours from red to orange, while that group of substances were different shades of purple' and then you conclude that the substances that were red-orange were acids and the other group were bases

i think you're meant to memorise the pH ranges and colours for red cabbage indicator, as well as a few other indicator colours and their ranges though

indeed

HSC
not the exact results - but remember pracs have an aim that's relevant to the syllabus content and thus you're meant to know/remember the conclusion obtained from the results, rather than the results themselves, as well as the method (eg. a possible question could be outline/describe a procedure you have done that can blah'), and if it's appropriate to understand the trend (even if you forget it, if you know your content you can deduce the trend for the procedure anyway) for red cabbage indicator you could just say 'this group of substances had a range of colours from red to orange, while that group of substances were different shades of purple' and then you conclude that the substances that were red-orange were acids and the other group were bases

i think you're meant to memorise the pH ranges and colours for red cabbage indicator, as well as a few other indicator colours and their ranges though
Oh ok yeah, thank you again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)