Chemistry of Art (1 Viewer)

Olivia

I am learning chemistry of art for the elective, does anyone know any good materials? ie. web sites or good books

kini mini

HSC
I did chem of art last year. Longman's Chemistry Contexts is excellent, and there is another pretty decent book on it around by a teacher whose name I can't remember at the moment. Which school do you go to Olivia? Last year I only knew of Kambala and Grammar doing this elective and Kambala have dropped it!

Olivia

How did you go in this topic? Do you find it hard?

I go to Cheltenham, my teacher gave us some notes on this topic but I don't think it's enough. Yeah I brought Chemistry Contexts as well but I would like more resources.

And now we have an assessment on finding the chemical composition and assess the potential health risk associated with cosmetics used by the ancient Roman!

Do you have any idea where I can find information on that? I cannot find anything on it at my local library.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Olivia
How did you go in this topic? Do you find it hard?
I thought it was very interesting, it overlapped with Quanta to Quarks so that really cut down my workload :p. I killed the bits where they asked about Bohr's model of the atom :p.

And now we have an assessment on finding the chemical composition and assess the potential health risk associated with cosmetics used by the ancient Roman!

Do you have any idea where I can find information on that? I cannot find anything on it at my local library.
I remember that there was some info about this in Contexts. Here is the relevant bit from my notes:  White lead ( 2PbCO3.Pb(OH)2) face powder Egyptians and Romans, toxic

I'm pretty sure I got that from Contexts. The other series you might try is the Carolyn Landers one (http://www.dymocks.com.au/Search/Search.asp?Author=Carolyn Landers). You can pick up a good deal of info from the answers in Success One on this elective too.

Olivia

Thanks!

Yeah our teacher photocopied some notes form Quanta to Quarks for that section too.

Which volume should I get for the Carolyn Landers series? Which volume did you find it useful?

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Olivia
Thanks!

Yeah our teacher photocopied some notes form Quanta to Quarks for that section too.

Which volume should I get for the Carolyn Landers series? Which volume did you find it useful?
They were all pretty decent, but in your case, all you'll need is the volume with Chem of Art. I think it was the last one, you can go to Dymocks and have a look :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)