chemistry olympiad?? (1 Viewer)

aus_peter2005

HSC
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of doing the chemistry national qualifying exam this year( i am in year 11, so this is the last year i can do it)...i have looked at the past papers and it is marked out of 120.....does anyone know roughly what mark / 120 would you need to get a HD....and also what mark would get you an invitation to the training camp in canberra....

thx~~

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
I answered all the questions, although for about 5 of them I had rather dodgy answers. I got an HD, but I don't know what my mark was - apparently I heard the cut off for HDs is about 50%!

I didn't get an invite to the training camp :( but anyhow, good luck! Hope you do well!

P.S. If you study the year 12 syllabus alot of it is in the exam, methinks.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Hey im currently doing bio olympiad training at usyd. The chem course got cancelled lastweek(lack of numbers) http://www.science.usyd.edu.au/school/olympiad/chemistry.shtml

Ring Louise you might be able to get the notes.

Also:

It is recommended that students purchase the textbook Chemistry, by Silberberg. Students may purchase the textbook (approx. $120.00) which will be on sale prior to the lecture on the first evening.

Make sure its 4th edition and it costs from $115-$130ish. Co-op bookshop is cheapest if u know someone who is a member or $116.95

http://www.dymocks.com.au/dynamic/Full_Details.aspx?ISBN=0071116591

Chemistry :The Molecular Nature of Matter and Change with Olc Password Card (4th ed) - $116.95
by Silberberg

ISBN 0071116591
Format Paperback
Category Education and Reference - Science
Publisher McGraw-Hill Education - Europe
Publication Date 01-Feb-2005
Imprint McGraw-Hill Education (ISE Editions)
Pages 1216
Dimensions 217 mm

Last edited:

aus_peter2005

HSC
well i have the chemistry book by zumdahl instead of the silberberg one, and i use that to study by myself.....well thx anyway for those who answered......

ohoh by the way...this is not related to the olympiad but about my school chemistry thing......what should you do if like for an exam...your answer is not necessarily wrong....but the teacher says that it is marked the same for everyone..and so marked you wrong for that question....is there anyway you can get the mark back?? (this is in my half yearly which is a few weeks ago...but just in case it happen again in the future).....like the teacher asked you to identify a use of a chem reaction..and i did...and she said my use is not useful (too expensive to do)....but i still got 0 for the question...???......am i wrong or is she wrong???...cos the question only says "identify" not evaluate.....
THX~~

astrobit

HSC
Hey,
It's nice to know there's some eagerness to do an NQE. I'm a member of Elissa Inc. which recommends tutors; so I have the contact details of some people who've actually been invited to the camp from doing well in the chem NQE. I could pass on contact details to you. Just email me at anishbhuta@hotmail.com and I'll reply to that, or if you email me your number I'll just talk to you on the phone.

Last edited:

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
aus_peter2005 said:
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of doing the chemistry national qualifying exam this year( i am in year 11, so this is the last year i can do it)...i have looked at the past papers and it is marked out of 120.....does anyone know roughly what mark / 120 would you need to get a HD....and also what mark would get you an invitation to the training camp in canberra....

thx~~
I thought you could do it in year 12, can you? *shrugs*

A l

HSC
N/A
Deltan said:
I thought you could do it in year 12, can you? *shrugs*
The latest year you can attempt it is in Year 11. Besides, why would you take the National Qualifying Examinations during your HSC trial exam period?

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
A l said:
The latest year you can attempt it is in Year 11. Besides, why would you take the National Qualifying Examinations during your HSC trial exam period?
Damn! Guess i only have a year left to study for the NQE then... Good question, however are there any other competitions you can compete in yr 12 besides the UNSW comp?

501n2u

HSC
damn, i didnt even know there was a chemistry olympiad. we're hardly ever told these things in school(MLC School), ive only done the mathematics olympiad.

Last edited:

A l

HSC
N/A
Deltan said:
Damn! Guess i only have a year left to study for the NQE then... Good question, however are there any other competitions you can compete in yr 12 besides the UNSW comp?
Chemistry Quiz?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)