• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Chemistry (1 Viewer)

nowitski

I was just wondering for those who do chemistry, is it me or is chemistry in yr 12 turning into a different language. I have no idea whats going on in chemistry and im finding it harder then 3u maths.

Just wondering how others are feelinga bout chem.

thanks

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Hello. ^^
Firstly, this topic should be in the chemistry forums (obviously :rolleyes: )
For your question, it really depends if you have been closely following and studying what you're learning in chemistry. You seem to be lost in the subject, ask your teacher any questions that you have if you don't understand a concept. At least read the textbook for a basic understanding of the topics and pay attention in class.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
That's because you are learning very new things in Year 12 Chemistry. You must have a deep understanding of Year 11 chemistry to understand the HSC stuff well. A lot of the HSC stuff builds on the Preliminary stuff: e.g. Galvanic cells build on redox reactions, Polymerisation is an extension of the hydrocarbons learnt in the Energy topic etc.
For me, I'm finding it much more interesting than Year 11 Chemistry at the moment (obviously because I like chemistry). My suggestion is, revise your Year 11 stuff and once you know it, take each relevent Preliminary concept a step further for the HSC course. If you don't, then you'll have difficulties, without a doubt.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
3u is wifout a doubt harder than chemistry
i found chemistry to b the most interestin sub i am doin right now becoz i actualli gettin it wifout much effort

hope every1 goes well. >O<!!

Darkening

HSC
i dont get how u can understand it!!! my whole class cept 2 people can really understand!!!!! im finidin it impossible to answer anything... its only fun to do the pracs and hear the theory!! but the problem is fittin it into my lil head!!

Loz_metalhead

HSC
I feel the same. In the holidays I need to go over everything we have done in the year 12 course. It makes it harder not having a text book.

Darkening

HSC
metal head... i sai we burn all the chem rooms for our convinence... and we probally get a medal from the teens of Australia :D

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
Darkening said:
i dont get how u can understand it!!! my whole class cept 2 people can really understand!!!!! im finidin it impossible to answer anything... its only fun to do the pracs and hear the theory!! but the problem is fittin it into my lil head!!
hmm i donno Oo
now i am juz takin watever the teacher is feeding me, becoz i haven't even looked at the syllabus and i dont have a textbook yet. Oo.

but i guess becoz out of maths phy and everythin, chemistry is the most logical..hahaha

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Darkening said:
Here's my advice:
1. Pay attention in class!
2. If you don't understand something, ask!
3. Read your textbook!
4. If you don't understand something in textbook, ask more!
5. Do your homework!
6. If you don't get the homework, ask!
I'm trying to help you. :)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
My tips, not just for chemistry.
1. Do homework
2. Practice questions
3. Practice your own made up questions
4. Read through the text books
5. Ask us on BOS for help!
6. If you don't like us, ask your friends or your teacher.

I didn't mean to copy you, riviet.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
If you bludged your way through Year 11 and didn't take in a lot of important stuff in class because you thought it didn't count and didn't matter because it's "only Year 11", you'll find the HSC course difficult to comprehend.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Trebla said:
If you bludged your way through Year 11 and didn't take in a lot of important stuff in class because you thought it didn't count and didn't matter because it's "only Year 11", you'll find the HSC course difficult to comprehend.
Yeh i agree. The year 11 stuff of any subject forms the backbone of any year 12 stuff.
Also, i doubt that anything could be harder than 3u maths. Except mx2 and definately ext english.

ichiraku

HSC
I've actually found the concepts in the HSC course so far to have been easier to understand than the preliminary course. Also it has been a lot more enjoyable and interesting. Mind you, I must say I scored pretty terribly in my prelims and even now have some troubles with writing and balancing equations.

I know it has been suggested already, but really you must do your homework for chemistry if you get any. Sometimes I think my teacher is a godsend. He constantly gives us homework sheets which are related to the dot points and also does frequent revision in class. But I suppose if you don't get homework, then probably grab yourself Conquering Chem. and answer the questions there.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
No worries Smart Dunce. :)
Luckily for me, i paid attention in yr 11, didnt do all that much self studying, but i still went alright in exams and can still recall basics that help me breeze through production of materials. And this thread is sooo appropriate to move to the chem forum. Also doing hw for subjects such as maths is absolutely critical, otherwise you don't get enough practice and screw up in exams and assessments.

tennille

HSC
I also agree that the HSC course is much more interesting and much more easier to understand.

You don't have to have a very deep understanding of the preliminary course in order to understand the HSC course. You should know basic stuff like different bonding forces (polar, ionic, etc), heat of combustion and the mole. Personally, I found year 12 to be completely different to year 11.

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
I thought year 12 was meant to be way way harder than year 11.....

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I shouldn't worry too much at this stage if chemistry feels difficult, as said before the HSC course is an entirely different course to the preliminary one. Mainly you will find though that its more a matter of familiarity and logic - once you relax into the course it is not all that complicated, but at the beginning it is much like learning a new language where everything is just too strange.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Tennille said:
I also agree that the HSC course is much more interesting and much more easier to understand.
Once again, i have to agree with that point made. I am very interested in all my subjects, except for english, which i'll leave to talk about in another thread. With reference to chemistry, it is very interesting indeed and helps with the study, because i'm actually memorising things that i have an interest in. :)

Darkening

HSC
Trebla said:
And this is how lot ..atleast 80% of the students in my school thought... in cludin me.... now im doin 2-4hrz of study a night aswell as doin assignments!!! what really bugs me is that the subject im most intrested in is the one i dont get....

Thought year 11 i was bludgin through the course with grade of 70-85% now its droped down to 50-60%... Im really supprised that it got so hard in one year!!! i jus recently did a PE test today of 6 pages... Essay form writing... fun..!!!

Thx for the help guys :D......... btw....... i gotta ask.... how do u get so smart ... jus continous studyin?? next question has to be... if u do .. do that..... do u play sport?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)