• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Choosing An Irp Topic (1 Viewer)

Cuttiford

HSC
hey im not sure if anybody can help me. i am brainstorming about what topic to choose for my IRP topic. i am interested in education and was thinking perhaps i could research factors which influence education including- resources, gender, culture (family support) and socioeconomic status. im unsure about doing this because i am not sure if there is enough secondary information to which i can compare my findings when i have to analyse my rsults. also, im not sure if kids would give qualitative responses which i would be able to draw conclusions from. can anybody help me or does anyone have any advice?

much appreciated
cheers.

Last edited:
HSC
Hiya

Funnily enough I did something similar for my SOC pip. I was examining the implications of gender on the way people learn or approach learning in school with an emphasis on masculinity.

I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for but I must say, if you're going for the gender side of education there will be heaps of secondary data available to you.

And start getting on the librarian's good side, researching education means you have restricted resources at your school library that can come verry handy.

Cuttiford

HSC
hey thanks. ive done more brainstorming and have decided to research "does gender influence education?". i talked to my teacher about it and showed her my project plan and all she said is to make sure i keep it simple enough and that there will be plenty for me to conduct primary research on. i have started looking up secondary sources on the influence of gender on education and have already found some great sites. good luck with your HSC!

Cuttiford

HSC
hi all, just wanted to tell you what i have chosen to do for my IRP in case it can help anybody out there who doesn't know where to begin. I am going to research "Does gender influence education?"

It is really important to choose a topic that:
-you are interested in,
-can be represented graphically,
-has a lot of secondary data (because this will help you to analyse your results and compare your findings to other research reports- which gets you heaps of marks!! remember lots of results without a detailed analysis means nothing in terms of good marks.)

To go answer my research question I am going to use threee subquestions. These are:
- are males or females more successful in different subject areas?
- are males or females more successful in different tasks?
- are different approaches required for educating males or females?

To research these questions I plan on using the methodologies questionnaire, interview and observation.

Make sure that as you go along, you check in with your teacher to ensure you are still on track and dont leave your planning or research to the last minute.

Keep an up to date diary- not only becasue you have to- but it will help you to get your assignmetn done on time and also- if you feel bogged down you can look back at all of the effort that you have put in to inspire you to keep on going.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)