Choosing History Extension (1 Viewer)

moonshoes

HSC
N/A
Hi all,

I'm seriously contemplating taking history extension for the hsc (which starts in like 2 days or something). That means I can drop chemistry and bio leaving me with 10 units all up.

Did you enjoy history extension?
Is the extra unit going to exponentially occupy my time?
What skill set should I be brill at the get high marks?
Any advice for the major work?
Anything else relating to choosing history extension and the work it requires?

I would be aiming for a high band five -> band six.

Thanks! :)

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
yep i loved it was one of my fave subjects, thought it might depend on what your school case study was (mine was JFK, man and myth and the cuban missile crisis
it depends, if you really want band e4( your gonna have to study various concepts of historiography and learn how to express and manipulate in your own words which relates to the question, not just regurgitate the info you know
for major work choose something which you can have a lot of sources on, dont overcomplicate things, just keep it simple and choose something which really interests you

oh and also start working on your major project straight away pretty much(try finishing whole thing during summer holidays), and continuously hand in drafts over the school year

Last edited:

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
yep i loved it was one of my fave subjects, thought it might depend on what your school case study was (mine was JFK, man and myth and the cuban missile crisis
it depends, if you really want band e4( your gonna have to study various concepts of historiography and learn how to express and manipulate in your own words which relates to the question, not just regurgitate the info you know
for major work choose something which you can have a lot of sources on, dont overcomplicate things, just keep it simple and choose something which really interests you

oh and also start working on your major project straight away pretty much(try finishing whole thing during summer holidays), and continuously hand in drafts over the school year
1st srs post. Congratz :D

Tink

HSC
To bring a derailed thread back on somewhat of a track, history extension is brilliant. It will occupy your time, but not exponentially so. I did three extensions, and had three major works and I still kept on top of history. Just make sure you know your historians back and forth. Stalk them. Be their best friend. Learn their favourite foods.

To get high marks in history extension, know your argument and be able to write well. Practice essays, while they may come from the seventh circle of hell, are useful.

A draft of the major work can be knocked over fairly quickly and it would be ideal to get it done completely, and out of the way quickly. Start it quickly, and try not to change your topic (I had a kid in my class change his the day before it was due). It's much easier if you pick a topic early, and continue with it the whole way through. You'll likely end up hating it by the end, regardless of the topic you choose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)