• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Choosing law electives (1 Viewer)

amaccas

HSC
N/A
Hi again,

At the moment, I'm not sure whether I should pick electives that seem "bludgey" and marked leniently, over subjects such as tax law and revenue law which I hear are difficult and marked quite harshly.

I have no particular inkling as to what area of law I want to practice when I finish. Although I would like to work in a big practice.

Thanks again in advance,
amaccas

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
If you want to work in a big firm, do something commercial-y. Revenue law is pretty easy, and very useful to know.

Do subjects that you think you will enjoy. If you don't know what you will enjoy, do something that sounds 'practical' and will make you one of those lawyers who can advise generally on common topics (tax, discrimination, employment, family etc). I've been asked about all of these examples by various friends and coworkers and I haven't even (officially) graduated yet.

(Of course, I wouldn't give advice on these topics. Just an uhh... law student's opinion)

Don't do a subject purely because you heard it was easy. Subject outlines change from session to session (as do the coordinators) and you might end up with a subject that's hard, useless and boring.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
hfis, we give information not advice :) (I remember my first year academic saying that).

I am a bit frustrated at MQs elective choices, they are all stuffy philosophical ones. I am hoping to do things like:
1. Clinical legal placement (If i get a place, they are limited)
2. Advocacy (if they run it EVER otherwise maybe do it at UWS)
3. Health Law and Etichs
4. Dispute Management and Resolution
5. Advanced Torts

Then I have no clue and I need a few more, I have already done international law but it was taught in a crap way!

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
We had a good lecturer, but I found tax law to be very easy, of course it all depends on the lecturers at your university though. My advice would be to take a mix of subjects and balance ones that sound fun with those that have more of a practical application. I've done conflicts (private international law), health law, comparative law and south east asian law... but balanced it off with tax law, labour law, takeovers, securities and restrictive trade. It's funny really, I've found all of the ones that 'sound' harder to be alot easier than the fluffy arts-like courses.

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
Does doing law honours mean you do two fewer law electives?

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Depends on how your university calculates honours. At UOW honours is just another elective (research) + your WAM, whereas at others I think it can be stretched out over a year or across multiple elective units. Check your faculty website.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)