Chromatography (1 Viewer)

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
If anyone has any information, any at ALL and any methods of chromatography that I could carry out, please let me know? I have some assignment, I can't remember what it is and I don't have it here with me but I know I have to separate ink or something or other...lol I have no idea.

But any information at all that people could contribute about chromatography would be much appreciated :)

G

Gavvvvvin

It is a technique used to seperate substances which have similiar chemical and physical properties. There are different kinds of chromatograpghy such as paper, thin layer, column, gas and high pressure liquid.

To seperate ink, use paper chromatograpghy. A piece of absorbant represents the statioanry phase, and the mobile phase is a solvent which flows over the stationary phase to seperate the components of the mixture. So what youd do is put a small dot of the ink on a piece of the absorbant paper, about 2 cm above its edge, then place this end in a container that contains the solvent (but the solvent shouldnt cover the dot of ink when its placed in :p). So then yeah, the solvent be abosrobed up the paper and will seperate the ink, and youll see the different colours that make it up.

I know its brief, possibly not even correct, but meh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paroissien

HSC
That seems correct as far as I can tell.
Paper chromatography works on the different solubilties the different amino acids (when seperating proteins) have in the two phases; mobile and stationary. Stationary phase is polar so the polar amino acids will dissolve in this phase meaning they will travel slowly up the paper. Less polar amino acids dissolve in the mobile phase meaning they travel relatively quickly up the paper. As they say "like dissolves like".
Causing the seperation. Obviously this can also be used to seperate the inks in pen inks.
Could someone please confirm if this is right.

Last edited:

Xeno

Xeno
HSC
Here are my chromatography notes from year 12 IB Chemistry...

Chech things if they seem very wrong. Should mainly be trustworthy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)