Citric and Aceitc Acid (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
acetic (ethanoic) acid - CH3COOH - 4.75
citric acid - C6H8O7 - 3.13

Acetic acid has a higher pH.

Haven't you already done your HSC, though?

ssglain

HSC
Ethanoic acid is monoprotic and citric acid is triprotic. If we're to assume complete ionisation in (say) 0.1M solutions of each acid, the hydronium concentration is 0.1M in ethanoic acid and 0.3M in citric acid. So the theoretical pH is -log(0.1)=1 for enthanoic acid and -log(0.3)=0.52 for citric. Theoretically, citric acid is stronger than ethanoic acid. It, too, is stronger in reality (as Lucid Scintilla showed us), but both ethanoic and citric acids have much higher pH values because neither ionises completely.

Last edited:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Hmm monoprotic ...

CH3COOH <--> CH3COO- + H+

Now about the triprotic nature of citric acid, the most frustrating thing about weak acids is writing the ionic equation for them.
According to you the [H+] concentration is 0.3M so I guess the best equation for that is:

C6H8O7 <--> C6H5O73- + 3H+

If not correct (the charge is incorrect or more than two products are formed) then I don't know , but my Chem teacher wouldn't put something this nasty in our exam.

ssglain

HSC
f3nr15 said:
Hmm monoprotic ...

CH3COOH <--> CH3COO- + H+

Now about the triprotic nature of citric acid, the most frustrating thing about weak acids is writing the ionic equation for them.
According to you the [H+] concentration is 0.3M so I guess the best equation for that is:

C6H8O7 <--> C6H5O73- + 3H+

If not correct (the charge is incorrect or more than two products are formed) then I don't know , but my Chem teacher wouldn't put something this nasty in our exam.
Yeah I would just be putting the overall equation (even though it hardly ever happens in reality) instead of a separate equation for each of the 3 steps for complete ionisation of citric acid.

Eddyah

HSC
The Fuck?

I thought citric would be stronger since it ionises better in water. 8.6% i believe while acetic is only 1.3%.

I may have this mixed up though.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Eddyah said:
The Fuck?

I thought citric would be stronger since it ionises better in water. 8.6% i believe while acetic is only 1.3%.

I may have this mixed up though.
Citric acid is stronger than acetic acid. That's why it has a lower pH (ie. more acidic) than acetic acid at same concentrations. What's the problem?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)