• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Civil engineering qn (1 Viewer)

jannny

HSC
I was lookin through uac and saw that Civil engineering ( Structural ) has higher cut off than Civil engineering itself @ USYD. Why's that? lol wat makes Structural engineering be more popular than the other?

If I do civil engineering, can you also be involved in the mining industry (like a mining engineer).. I think I heard this from some where

So civil engineers design bridges, parks etc.. do u have to be creative?? LOL must be a stupid question but I saw in the job guide that it involves creative design.. so yea Im not creative at ALL lol.

and For civil engineering students.. What do u enjoy about the course?

thankkss

jannny

HSC
So supply vs Demand huh, so that means a lot of people wants to do Civil engo ( structural) at USYD than UTS civil engo.. right?

anyone else? thx for ur input Musk

Dont u have a higher chance of being employed if u go to more prestigious and known university such as Syd Uni or UNSW? ( no offence UTS )

Im confused right now.. but I am definitely going to do engineering for now.

Last edited:

jannny

HSC
thanks for input, lol any other engineering students out there that can provide some other perspective?

KD

HSC
N/A
jannny said:
I was lookin through uac and saw that Civil engineering ( Structural ) has higher cut off than Civil engineering itself @ USYD. Why's that? lol wat makes Structural engineering be more popular than the other?
USyd only takes a handful of students into Civil (Structural) so that the UAI stays high. It is actually just the Civil prog where you are required to take the structural electives. My advice, if you go there then just do the straight Civil and keep your options open.

Unwant3d

It's A Boy !!
HSC
everything's been said.
and as ive been told.
engineering is more 'hands-on' than business/law thus why companies look at experience rather than knowledge.

thats all i preety much have to add.

Anonymous1

HSC
回复: Civil engineering qn

EDIT: Btw the uais for usyd is fake, take 5 uai and thats its true uai
---

lol - & take of 25 for UTS engineering?

Yeah, Musk is pretty spot on. Besides a few of the more traditional employers, experience is what they're after.

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
Re: 回复: Civil engineering qn

All uni uai's are fake, take -20 off uow uai's then its the truth, lol.

jannny

HSC

Anonymous1 said:
Yeah, Musk is pretty spot on. Besides a few of the more traditional employers, experience is what they're after.
At the moment I'm not worrying whether I will get a job or not, because most likely I will anyway - due to engineering skills shortage (hopefully it stays like this until I graduate). Having said this, it is easy to gain experience as a graduate engineer.

So whether you are at UTS, UWS USYD or any other uni doing engineering you are pretty much guaranteed a job, after all it is a degree. However the main difference between engo graduates is what happens in the next 10 - 15 years.

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC

There are plenty of jobs for engineering, especially civil. After your degree experience will play the major role in your future position as an engineer.

The only thing that worries me is if the engineering shortage continues what if they decide to bring international engineers (for cheap pay), hence stuffing us up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)