Civil Rights in USA Help (1 Viewer)

mmmm.

HSC
Could someone explain how the following statement is true: (Syllabus DP: the nature of social and political change)
- Where the civil rights may have been successful in challenging racist laws and customs, it appears to have had less success in challenging racist elements of American culture

Thankyou in advance

jojosiwa123

HSC
ok so this is basically about how although LAWS were introduced- SOCIETY itself in many areas still didn't change. meaning the laws weren't implemented by society or accepted by the population (specifically in the South). by 'elements' you can talk about the different oppositions of the civil rights movement- this includes the KKK, White Citizens Councils etc (supremacist groups). these elements still exist in the 21st century.

mmmm.

HSC
SOCIETY itself in many areas still didn't change. meaning the laws weren't implemented by society or accepted by the population (specifically in the South)
How come society didn't change/laws weren't implemented/accepted? I thought that society did change cause Civil Rights Act 1964 banned discrimination in public areas, etc. and events like the bus boycott where the court declared segregation on public transport unconstitutional under the 14th Amendment

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
How come society didn't change/laws weren't implemented/accepted? I thought that society did change cause Civil Rights Act 1964 banned discrimination in public areas, etc. and events like the bus boycott where the court declared segregation on public transport unconstitutional under the 14th Amendment
That was ages ago. Society now is much much better. If one person is racist 10 people speak against it.

It takes time to change people’s mindset. Some people at the time the laws were introduced might not have accepted the new rules due to the fact that there were so used to the old ones. No one likes drastic change that affects lifestyles.

Now though you can clearly see how equality is at the forefront of everything.

Massive racist groups today are practically unheard of and I wouldn’t say things like the KKK or white supremacy exist in mass today. I would say It’s only a few individuals of the population in terms of percentage. There is no evidence of anything like white supremacy existing here..

Last edited:

jojosiwa123

HSC
just speaking in terms of the syllabus- the aims of the civil rights movement were to establish racial equality for all, and to end segregation. although segregation has definitely ended because of federal laws, the idea of racial equality still hasn't been achieved in modern day USA. discrimination still exists (even if in a small amount) suggesting that racist elements haven't been addressed. I mean you can see this through the Black Lives Matter movement in 2020- had the laws against discrimination been fully accepted by society why would there now be what some have referred to as "the 21st century civil rights movement".

the thing is there are two sides to every argument in modern- the user above shows one side, and i'm giving you another point of view. for your hsc it's best if you stick with one argument and find the strongest evidence to support it, both can get high marks as long as your argument is well thought out and structured. keep in mind the argument also depends on the question asked- for example the question might specifically refer to 1945-1968 in which case it would be best to stay away from commenting on 21st century America.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)