Civil vs Software Engineering? (1 Viewer)

PakiPrince

HSC
Clearly not outsourcing enough if we need skilled migrants. Outsourcing is nothing to worry about if you are any good.
Haha. Go say that to all my uncles/relatives/family friends who have graduated from schools like NYU, Yale, Princeton and even UNSW with experience working for Google, Westpac, etc.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Haha. Go say that to all my uncles/relatives/family friends who have graduated from schools like NYU, Yale, Princeton and even UNSW with experience working for Google, Westpac, etc.
maybe you're family is just unlucky?

PS: your dp is hot; would bang/10

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
But...u agree that there are a variety of IT Jobs in Sydney ?

PakiPrince

HSC
But...u agree that there are a variety of IT Jobs in Sydney ?
Well, I'm not sure. As I said before, the IT industry in Australia is on a decline. Most of the people I know in IT are losing jobs. Of course, there are people who are in comfortable positions with great salaries. So if IT/Software/Computer are your passion, then go for it. It's good however to be aware of the industry's current state in Australia.

However, if you struggle here, there is always India to go to.

Last edited:

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
Your relatives must not be as good as you think. If they graduated from NYU/Yale/Princeton and worked for major tech companies and banks, they will be getting emails from recruiters all over the world on a daily basis. If you're a competent programmer, it's very easy to get a high-paying job. The demand is incredible. Good companies don't outsource because they know that outsourced projects rarely succeed.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Your relatives must not be as good as you think. If they graduated from NYU/Yale/Princeton and worked for major tech companies and banks, they will be getting emails from recruiters all over the world on a daily basis. If you're a competent programmer, it's very easy to get a high-paying job. The demand is incredible. Good companies don't outsource because they know that outsourced projects rarely succeed.
#truth...

PakiPrince

HSC
#truth...
You talk as if you know the truth about the IT industry......... HSC 2014 (lol)

But seriously, its best if you go out and ask people currently working in the industry on how the situation is here in Australia, which I have, and not rely on university students on their perspectives.

In regards to the original OP's question, I would personally prefer Civil > Software if you intend to work in Australia.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
You talk as if you know the truth about the IT industry......... HSC 2014 (lol)

But seriously, its best if you go out and ask people currently working in the industry on how the situation is here in Australia, which I have, and not rely on university students on their perspectives.

In regards to the original OP's question, I would personally prefer Civil > Software if you intend to work in Australia.
what like you do ?

You imply that the IT industry is declining to outsourcing to india or where ever and there is limited jobs in Australia which makes IT uni students in danger..

then if this is the case, then explain why are there a variety of IT/ICT jobs available on job seeking website.. like seek.com and etc...

also explain that why there is a large assortment of internship and grads job for Uni students every year in the 'declining' field of IT. If so major corporation like telstra ,PWC, cisco, KPMG ,Optus are just wasting their assets in employing students.

http://au.gradconnection.com/graduate-jobs/information-technology/sydney/

but who am I to say I am just a "HSC 2014" student, who cares.

I dont have time for this. Need to go and study and bring that 99.95 atar (lol)

PakiPrince

HSC
what like you do ?

You imply that the IT industry is declining to outsourcing to india or where ever and there is limited jobs in Australia which makes IT uni students in danger..

then if this is the case, then explain why are there a variety of IT/ICT jobs available on job seeking website.. like seek.com and etc...

also explain that why there is a large assortment of internship and grads job for Uni students every year in the 'declining' field of IT. If so major corporation like telstra ,PWC, cisco, KPMG ,Optus are just wasting their assets in employing students.

http://au.gradconnection.com/graduate-jobs/information-technology/sydney/

but who am I to say I am just a "HSC 2014" student, who cares.

I dont have time for this. Need to go and study and bring that 99.95 atar (lol)
Gosh,

Of course there will be jobs advertised.

Firstly I never said there are 'no' jobs in the I.T industry.

Secondly, on seek.com, for ANY field there are always jobs advertised. For ANY field.

Thirdly, internship/grad positions will always exist, irrespective of whether the particular industry is declining.

Fourthly, have you ever considered how many applicants there would be for these jobs?

There are a lot of factors which you do not take into consideration and the result is you appear quite foolish and that 99.95 atar aim is somewhat trivial.

It looks like you need to more 'in depth' research of this issue. You are only sitting your HSC, haven't even begun uni yet. Its best not to comment when you have no contact with the industry.

Anyway, out.

_pikachu

HSC
Whatever you enjoy the most
no point taking jobs that you would hate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)