• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Class of Wisdom! (1 Viewer)

Libra Swords

Wouldn't you like to have a class that teaches wisdom and the many different
ways of life? Would you like this class to take you on unbelievable journeys
throughout your life, giving you heart to heart, spirit to spirit talk?

If you are someone who longs for wisdom, seeks truth, and wants to understand
life without the disruption of religion and politics, then this is a class you would
want in your school!

What are your thoughts about this wisdom class of spiritual connection??

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
sounds a little weird lo. but how can it be "spiritual" without religion. and have u ever thought that the meaning of life may lie in religion?

MouNtY

Libra Swords said:

life without the disruption of religion and politics, then this is a class you would
want in your school!

hey intersting idea i guess it would be kind of cool for a while but ummmmmm.....nah

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Libra Swords said:

want in your school!

it exists (sort of)...its called RAVE or Religion and Value Education. Also, Religious Education in Parramatta Diocese (in theory) operates along these lines as well.
NOTE: Im talking the "on-paper" versions of these course.The reality is usually dictated by the teacher or the school.
Me, I think what you have described would be wishy washy and boring...

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
im a realist and that doesnt exist and wouldnt reallyyyyyy.. appeal to me :p

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
we'd just be back in the 60's with hippies and flowers and mind-expanding drugs...hang on that was last night

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
*girl04* said:
sounds a little weird lo. but how can it be "spiritual" without religion. and have u ever thought that the meaning of life may lie in religion?
A better question is, have you ever thought the meaning of life may NOT lie in religion? *chuckles*

Chemboy

I think it might be a difficult class to run. There are so many differences of opinions and interpretations out there of what things like wisdom and enlightenment are, and any teachers perspective would probably therefore be kind of subjective.
This class does sound pretty cool, though. Kind of like philosophy, perhaps

.:b-me:.

memories consume
it would be a nice dream....but surely wisdom is something you learn through living and experiences...it can't really be taught.

afta???

HSC
hey before all this wisdom talking let me ask u a philosophical question

What is wisdom?

ability to know all, smart, life experiences...

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Wisdom is a bullshit word created to mystically account for logic. Logic doesn't go well with mysticism or religion, so they created a guise for it under the name of wisdom, and added lots of obscurity and ambiguity.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
if its going to help me get a job and éxpand my mind' which is unlikely, then YEAH BRING IT ON

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
.:b-me:. said:
but surely wisdom is something you learn through living and experiences...it can't really be taught.
Yeah that’s exactly right. It just wouldn't work in my view.
In all honesty I'd really like to see an anthropology and sociology course set up. I'm totally bias here, however I think it would be really cool. The idea of seeing the difference in opinions on certain topics somewhat appeals to me and the debates that could occur would be really good.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
I like the idea, although it is difficult to employ at High School level, the regurgitation of wisdom being by no means simple. ;)

What makes it harder, is that the greater value would come in the pondering of questions, rather than answering them...Which is one of the most interesting (and useful) things about philosophy. Bertrand Russell articulates this rather eloquently;

The impartiality which, in contemplation, is the unalloyed desire for truth, is the very same quality of mind which, in action, is justice, and in emotion is that universal love which can be given to all, and not only to those who are judged useful or admirable. Thus contemplation enlarges not only the objects of our own thoughts; it makes us citizens of the universe, not only of one walled city at war with all the rest. In this citizenship of the universe consists man's true freedom, and his liberation from the thralldom of narrow hopes and fears. [...] Philosophy is to be studied, not for the sake of any definite answers to its questions, since no definite answers can as a rule be known to be true, but rather for the sake of the questions themselves; because these questions enlarge our conception of what is possible, enrich our intellectual imagination and diminish the dogmatic assurance which closes the mind against speculation; but above all because, through the greatness of the universe which philosophy contemplates, the mind also is rendered great, and becomes capable of that union with the universe which constitutes its highest good-The Problems of Philosophy, p.161. [1912]

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
is everyone's view of wisdom the same? by dictating wisdom, one is not necessarily becoming wise.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Frigid said:
is everyone's view of wisdom the same? by dictating wisdom, one is not necessarily becoming wise.
Wisdom is a very subjective conception, hence it allowing a plurality of thought, as it were.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)