• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Cold War (1 Viewer)

googooloo

HSC
Hey I know Detente is a French word and that is is the subdueing I guess of the tensions between the two superpowers USA and USSR ( in russian its CSSR). But I'll look at what I have and see if I can find out anymore for you, but looking at teh syllabus will help you with understanding what you should look at to understand the influence of detente, such as the SALT I and II treaties, and improved relations such as Nixon 's visits to CHina and Russia. Things like that, compared with the Bay of Pigs and Cuban Missile Crisis of Keneddy's reign.

If a question on detente comes up it is likeyl to be about what occured and then maybe something on like why was it necessary, eg bay of pigs, and what ended it, eg Russia going into Afghanistan in 1979 to help out the communist govt. there.

I hope I've helped you a bit so far.

HSC
The thaw is the end of detente aka the factors that caused renewed tension.

These included
-Afghanistan
-Carters attacks over human rights
-I think there was another conflict in 1981...maybe somewhere in Africa...:X
-Different ideologies made peaceful coexistence impossible
-Both sides felt they were being cheated under the SALT agreements - believed the other was continuing armament while the other complied with restrictions
-I think the Soviets were less willing to deal with Carter - saw him as weaker than Nixon (or whichever one was in power in most of detente)

There are probably others...

Hope I helped :)

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
I've never heard of the phrase of "The Thaw" but wouldn't one assume it means the decreasing (not increasing) of tensions. Like thawing frozen bread... isn't that like taking it out of the freezer and letting it unfreeze? On the other hand... shit I got no idea! I'll certainly check it out, I'm probably wrong and my common sense is most likely nonsense!

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
I've done some research and I can say with certainty that detente and 'thaw' are one and the same. 'Thaw' is most definitely not a 'renewal in tensions' as one of the above posts assert. For example- "Khrushchev wanted also to reduce the Cold War tension between the superpowers – this process was known as the ‘thaw’." according to- http://www.redruth.cornwall.sch.uk/departments/history/coldwar-rev/coldwar.htm

The difference is, I think, that 'detente' refers to a specific period (1969-79) during which tensions decreased, but 'thaw' refers to any action that led to decreased tension between the super-powers.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)