• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Combining courses (1 Viewer)

Wohzazz

HSC
How many courses can you combine or is it only the ones listed (like law)

say i wanted to do medicine and don't get in. I'll probably want to do medicine science or advanced science or mathematics at USYD and wait for entry through GAMSAT. Can i do both medical science and advanced science. Can i do all three? I mean if i don't get into medicine later one, i still have science/mathematics to keep me going
(hypothetical situation)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
In most cases you can only do the degrees offered in the UAC guide, especially when you are a local recent school leaver. These choices are often quite flexible, though I think Double-Degree is the most you can do in a single hit. Sometimes, if you have leverage (like a kickarse UAI) you can convince them to allow minor variations of program. You need to contact the universities directly in this case (usually the Dean of your intended faculty) to see whether they are willing to negotiate a special degree program for you (this, I stress, is highly unlikely).

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
usyd doesn't have a combined b. adv sci/b. adv sci (math) degree.

if you wanted to do adv math, you would have to be in the b. adv sci degree and just pick the adv math units. this would mean you only have 1 degree!

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
These choices are often quite flexible, though I think Double-Degree is the most you can do in a single hit.
whaT about the B Arts/ B Med/ B surgeory course or is that different?

Wohzazz

HSC
In most cases you can only do the degrees offered in the UAC guide, especially when you are a local recent school leaver. These choices are often quite flexible, though I think Double-Degree is the most you can do in a single hit. Sometimes, if you have leverage (like a kickarse UAI) you can convince them to allow minor variations of program. You need to contact the universities directly in this case (usually the Dean of your intended faculty) to see whether they are willing to negotiate a special degree program for you (this, I stress, is highly unlikely).
but why don't allow more combinations of degree?
i mean it's your career so you should be able to do the courses you want (that's if times fits and everything)

santaslayer

HSC
that would be a question to da unis involved any not directed to anyone in this forum......lol

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
whaT about the B Arts/ B Med/ B surgeory course or is that different?
MBBS is a single degree. Though it is called two degrees "Medicine and Surgery" you only get one Testamur.
Originally posted by Wohzazz
but why don't allow more combinations of degree?
i mean it's your career so you should be able to do the courses you want (that's if times fits and everything)
Well the universities offer everything that is manageable, because the more students they can get into different faculties the better. If they don't offer something there's usually an excellent reason for it, like the workload or the logistic difficulties. Though as I said, you may be able to convince them to work around you so make sure you give it a shot. Talk to the Dean of your target faculties and see what they think.

Wohzazz

HSC
Well the universities offer everything that is manageable, because the more students they can get into different faculties the better. If they don't offer something there's usually an excellent reason for it, like the workload or the logistic difficulties. Though as I said, you may be able to convince them to work around you so make sure you give it a shot. Talk to the Dean of your target faculties and see what they think.
When do you contact them? After doing the HSC?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
You could engage in preliminary talks now, finding out possibilities etc. But they won't take you seriously at all until you actually GET your UAI, because this kind of flexiblity only goes to the highest achievers.

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
I don't know why UNSW continues to call it BMed/Bsurgery - you don't even qualify to be a surgeon after the 6 yrs....you still got all those years ahead of study.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
It's just medical tradition. Almost everywhere the degree is - "MBBS" : Medicin Baccalaureus Baccalaureus Chirugi - because of historical attachment. You DO also get some surgical experience (be it on cadavers) and that counts for something. Just let it go. :)

Giant Lobster

HSC
You could engage in preliminary talks now, finding out possibilities etc. But they won't take you seriously at all until you actually GET your UAI, because this kind of flexiblity only goes to the highest achievers.
What do u mean by "highest" achievers?
I mean, 99.xx is possible, but how high does the xx need to be? I really wanna do aerospace with adv science (math) at usyd; both degrees have really high uais, so combined, am i looking at 99.7+ ? :(

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
It all really depends on a) the uni, faculty and dean b) what kind of flexibility you're asking for.

If you're asking them to give you a completely personalised degree program (like, say MBBS BSci or something) you'll need to be right up at .95 or 100. If you just want to take a few subjects not normally offered, and they're reasonably applicable (ie you can justify them) then you can probably get away with less. Also, if you do that well and take a degree with a much lower cutoff, they may be willing to work around you. After all, you're doing a course you like rather than one you're simply "good enough" for.

Giant Lobster

HSC
lol...
but if i only take extra subjects, i dont get an extra degree right?
i want 2 degrees :p

hmmm a lil off topic, whats the diff between a combined degree and a double degree?

and if say i get a uai of 99.5 and i take aerospace, but i want a science degree as well, u reckon they'll let me if i choose a normal BSc which has a cutoff of like 80?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
But then you will probably miss out on the semester overseas. Why go for aerospace anyway... join the RAAF and play with real planes.

Giant Lobster

HSC
meh... aerospace, with its 99+ "seal of approval" looks more yummy :p besides, RAAF... i dont wanna make moabs n jdams all my life :D its bad karma :)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Australia doesnt use MOABS or JDAMS, and thats what Aerospace Enginnering Officers (Armament) do, which is what I want to (Aeronautical Engineering degree). You could go Aerospace Engineering Officer (Aeronautical), go through ADFA pay no HECS and play with Hornets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)