• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Comm/Law, just don't know where... (1 Viewer)

A

ahmedstyle

Hi guys. I did 2012 HSC and got an ATAR of 99.45. Initially my plan was to do comm/law at either UNSW or USyd (with a finance or law career in mind) but with my ATAR that doesn't seem likely anymore. So now I have a few options and having trouble choosing one.

I could do a B Comm at UNSW or USyd and then transfer to law. Which university would it be easier to transfer in? I know that UNSW reserves 100 places for internal law transfers. However with my ATAR and with some dedication in uni I might also be able to transfer law at USyd. I also need to take into consideration which of these two is better for getting internships at large firms? Jobs after graduation? Has a good diversity of international and multicultural students? Flexibility in timetabling?

A third option is to do Business/Law at UTS for which I qualify. However I don't know how the faculties and job prospects at UTS match up to USyd and UNSW and also how easy it will be to transfer to UNSW/USyd if I want after a year.

Slight bit off advice could go a long way :)

inJust

HSC
Both unis are great, and any whichever one you go to will be beneficial to your career. Just depends on what you put in because that's what you're gonna get out of it!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Unfortunately university prestige does make a difference in this industry, but you'd also want to take into account that the number of spots vs. number of candidates isn't in your favour in law. You'll need to be not only at the top of your game academically but also very actively involved in competitions, societies, etc... These put together will ultimately what drive your ability to get a clerkship or graduate role.

For finance, did you apply for the finance coop program by any chance?

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Just going to throw out there ,UTS is a managable uni for Law/Business, but I still don't recommend it(because of the prestige factor). Someone I know who's finishing this year got a clerkship at one of the big 6s and also a IT consulting offer from Deloitte(he chose the clerkship). Distinction average, but did Media/Law at UTS. He was in the same postion as you as well (got 99.3 and didn't get into USYD/UNSW).

RishBonjour

HSC
99.45, you would be in a GREAT position when applying to transfer from B.comm to comm/law in USYD.
good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)