Comm/Sci or Commerce only @ UNSW? (2 Viewers)

puffiijamii

HSC
Hey guys, starting uni this year :)

I'm currently enrolled in Comm/Sci double degree, planning on majoring in Marketing and Psychology, BUT I'm starting to have doubts and thinking of reverting back to a single Commerce degree. Reason being, Comm/Sci only allows a single Commerce major, and I'm not sure which would be better in terms of job prospects, two Commerce majors or Marketing/Psychology?

Other major that I was interested in for Commerce was Management.

And if I do decide to revert back to a single degree, how should I go about doing that?

I'm not sure what career path I wanna do after I graduate, so trying to keep options open I guess.

KevinWu

HSC
Sup. haha I've chosen comm/sci as well as UNSW. I decided I'm going to drop science because there's no overly interesting major in science except for maybe psychology but i don't want a major in that (i want to work in Investment Banking) so I decided that i was going to major in Maths/Stats. But then I decided that since I'm going to do maths at university I'll see how Acturial Studies is LOL. So probably going to try and drop science degree after 1st semester so I can have a double major in Commerce.

Anyway, I don't have any advice for you because I'm not interested in the management/marketing side of commerce. Are you definitely going to have a major in marketing? Hmm, if you look at the subjects for a marketing major I think there was a course that was Consumer Psychology. But in saying that, I'm sure psychology would give you a slight advantage in getting a job for marketing.

I think if you want to keep your career path open I would suggest keeping the double degree as you could explore other fields in both commerce and science. If you dropped science or commerce then you probably won't be able to explore the field that you have dropped and find something your really interested in.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Hey guys, starting uni this year :)

I'm currently enrolled in Comm/Sci double degree, planning on majoring in Marketing and Psychology, BUT I'm starting to have doubts and thinking of reverting back to a single Commerce degree. Reason being, Comm/Sci only allows a single Commerce major, and I'm not sure which would be better in terms of job prospects, two Commerce majors or Marketing/Psychology?
It really depends upon what majors you want to do, and hence what career you want to pursue. There are certain combinations of Comm and Sci majors which work perfectly together and make you incredibly desirable to employers, but are quite narrowly focused. Marketing/Psychology would be a good combination as the two can be related in certain areas.
Other combinations which could work:
Business Econ/Psych
Finance/Maths
Taxation/Maths
Acturial/Maths
Finance/Stats
HR/Psych
etc.

These are kind of intuitive and you should be able to work out on your own whether the majors are complementary to one another. Some will be completely unrelated, and hence quite useless when taken together, like doing Taxation and Physics. That said, however, if you're not sure whether you want to be an Accountant or a Chemist, then maybe doing Acct/Chem would be a good thing for you.

Other major that I was interested in for Commerce was Management.
lol.
Don't even bother. You can't learn Management. It comes from experience and natural ability.
If you want to become a CEO, Emperor of the Universe or whatever, your best option is to learn the stuff that's essential to business management, like Accounting, Finance, Business Economics or Business Strategy and Economic Management and hope you and your personality have what it takes.

And if I do decide to revert back to a single degree, how should I go about doing that?
Ring up the Student Centre and ask. They deal with this stuff all the time, and they can walk you through it.
Basic rule of thumb: Go to Bored of Studies for opinionated advice, go to the Student Centre for help carrying out the advice.

I'm not sure what career path I wanna do after I graduate, so trying to keep options open I guess.

You're going to have choose ASAP. You don't have time to fuck around anymore. I would suggest going to Seek and looking up full-time jobs in the industries you're interested in. Find out which jobs sound most interesting to you and work out what qualifications you'd need for them.

rx34

HSC
lol.
Don't even bother. You can't learn Management. It comes from experience and natural ability.
If you want to become a CEO, Emperor of the Universe or whatever, your best option is to learn the stuff that's essential to business management, like Accounting, Finance, Business Economics or Business Strategy and Economic Management and hope you and your personality have what it takes.
Yup this is absolutely true, my accounting tutor said something on the lines as that.

OP, if you want to do Psychology, why not choose comm/arts? Science increases your contact hours dramatically and its core subjects makes it harder to get HDs in comparison to arts. If you really want to do psychology, maybe do a SINGLE commerce degree first, then apply for 2010 mid year transfer (if UNSW does mid year transfers) and switch to Comm/arts.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Yup this is absolutely true, my accounting tutor said something on the lines as that.

OP, if you want to do Psychology, why not choose comm/arts? Science increases your contact hours dramatically and its core subjects makes it harder to get HDs in comparison to arts. If you really want to do psychology, maybe do a SINGLE commerce degree first, then apply for 2010 mid year transfer (if UNSW does mid year transfers) and switch to Comm/arts.
Comm/Arts is one of the selections available if you had Comm selected with UAC. So if she can change from Comm/Sci to Comm, then she should be able to swap to Comm/Arts just as easily.
Comm/Sci is a year shorter than Comm/Arts. It's also not Arts; so it actually counts for something. Who cares if you get more HDs in Arts than in Sci. It's still a worthless degree.

Last edited:

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
Com/Sci is awesome if you're doing something like Finance, could do some applied maths or something in the science component to compliment your Commerce major nicely.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
I'm doing Comm/Sci, Finance & Geology.

Obviously it doesn't fully overlap, however there are niche opportunities to combine the too. Plus, the science component adds to my breath of knowledge, is enjoyable and includes cool field trips.

puffiijamii

HSC
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies!! (I haven't logged in in a while.)

@KevinWu, if you have Management on Thursdays 4-6, then I think you're the same Kevin that was checking out chicks with Nick during the lecture. And if you're not. Well, hi anyway. And no, I'm not deadset on doing Marketing. But yeah, will probably keep the double degree.

@Moll, thanks a lot for the advice! Yeah, I'm not liking Management much. It does seem like a rather pointless subject :S I'll do what you said and have a look at the jobs on Seek, thanks again :)

@rx34: I don't think it's possible to do Psych in the Comm/Arts degree. I know cos I have a friend in Comm/Arts who really wants to do Psych, but it's not available under Arts, so yeah. And Comm/Arts would be 5 years, and that sounds a little bit too long to me, even though it is only a year longer, ahaha. And atm I have 14 hours a week, which I think is manageable (bet it's going to get worse though, ahaha.)

@Omar-Comin: LOL I actually would do Arts if I could do Psychology through it, cos I also wanna do Chinese Studies as well. So theeeen, it'd be perfect, cos I could have my 2 Commerce majors + Psych + Chinese. Unfortunately, you can't do Psych, and it's 5 years. Ahaha.

@RDX: Haha unfortunately I don't think I'm capable of doing Finance, I heard it's pretty good though, in terms

@Cookie182: ahaha yeah I gotta admit, Science sounds so interesting! Probably won't have any field trips for Psych though, but yeah :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)