• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

commerce majors (1 Viewer)

jannny

HSC
Heys

Can you guys help me choose a major? The availabe majors are:

accounting
commercial law
econometrics
economics
finance
management
marketing

I am leading more to finance for now, since most of people I asked said that it will help you when you start your own bussiness.

What kind of jobs do you get if u do commercial law? econometrics? economics? management? marketing?

Wat major complements engineering the most?

danielvh

HSC
I doubt finance would be of too much use for setting up your own business. Probably more useful would be accounting or possibly management/marketing.

Economics and econometrics you can go into pretty much the same things that you can with finance plus some economics stuff like the RBA, treasury, productivity commission etc (but you need honours and possibly postgrad for these things)

Management doesn't really lead specifically to any careers. You'd be able to get jobs that don't require any specific degree. It is useful though as background knowledge for pretty much anything you'd do.

Marketing can lead to the same "just need a degree" jobs or also into the marketing world with jobs such as brand management, advertising agencies and so on.

Oh, and you're doing engineering? You won't have a trouble getting a job with that. If you wanted a job in the business world I'd probably major in finance/economics/econometrics (or accounting if you want an accounting job). If you plan to set up your own business I'd probably major in management, marketing or accounting.

But I'm no expert. So please feel to correct me whoever.

jannny

HSC
danielvh said:
Economics and econometrics you can go into pretty much the same things that you can with finance plus some economics stuff like the RBA, treasury, productivity commission etc (but you need honours and possibly postgrad for these things)
so basically economics/econometrics > finance in terms of job oppurtinites.

Evan11

HSC
How well would marketing help with adversiting. I know a Design Media course or something would be better, but im more interested in say, how Marketing would put you in a spot to be putting forward the advsertising and aproval schemes for a large scale engineering project.

danielvh

HSC
jannny said:
so basically economics/econometrics > finance in terms of job oppurtinites.
I'm not really sure. I do know that with economics/econometrics you can get into pretty much everything you can in finance + the economics type careers but what I don't know is whether it's easier/harder to get into those overlapping careers with economics vs finance.

Maybe someone else can answer this?

miss-smexy

HSC
Apparently Accounting is a good basic degree which allows you to go into many different fields and there are so many jobs in this field - it's not just if you want to become a Chartered Accountant or CPA. Visit UTS's Bachelor of Accounting website which has heaps of info on it lol. mmm... I don't think I'd do marketing... Like yeah, it'd be important to market your business... but you can learn that on the way? You don't need to go to uni to do that. Or I guess you could just outsource that later lol.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Not accounting, thats a seperate career to engineering rather than a compliment to it.

Def. economics or econometrics i'd say.

Its a respectable branch of study that people value not so much for actual knowledge but just the skills and reasoning encompassed.

Ultimately nothing you learn at uni will help you run a business - thats not the point of uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)