• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Commerce without maths in Yr11/12? (1 Viewer)

Constantine

HSC
Hey guys! I'll just get straight to the point.

I am thinking about doing Commerce and Law at UNSW (or with Business Administration at Macquarie or Business at UTS) after hearing what my friends have said about the usefulness of a commerce degree.

However I am wondering about the level of difficulty for maths for commerce degrees. I know commerce has many compulsory units for first years and they require maths. However when you get to the second year you can major in what you really want, like I really want to do HR which has no maths components.

Here are the key points:
  • I DID NOT do maths in year 11 and 12.
  • I started off with advanced as that's where my level was at the end of year ten
  • However this now means I am unfamiliar with the concepts taught in the last two years
  • I am confident with my ability for general maths stuff
  • I loved business and economics in yr 12 and I was able to do all the maths in them without help

So my question is - would you recommend me take commerce and do you think I can survive the compulsory units which involves maths until I choose my major? Else, I'm thinking about international studies, majoring in international business.

What do you guys think?
Thank you!!

Confound

HSC
Yes. The maths in commerce compulsory units are extremely simple.

Constantine

HSC
Anyone can elaborate on the level of difficulty and the knowledge involved?
Eg. if you can do ___ then you should have no problem

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
=21?

You will get rekt in usyd stats without any maths. I know people who've done the unit twice and failed because they did no maths. However, if you put in some extra work it is definitely pass-credit-able.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)