• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Commonwealth Scholarships (1 Viewer)

timrie6

HSC
N/A
I was just wondering how much commonwealth scholarships are based on UAI-
so anyone who has got this scholarship, what was your uai? what other factors influence who gets one and who doesn't?

Ribbon

I have one and from what I gathered UAI is one of the last factors used to decide. I think its mainly based on how poor a background you have and how hard you tried at school (as in, did you do lots of extra curricular stuff or did you have to work through school to support you) and UAI really only comes in if there is a HUGE difference between UAIs or if two people have the same sort of background and its right down to the wire.

cayte

I guess i can only speak for USyd, but: Are you in high school or uni at the moment? If you're already at uni and are applying for one for next year it will be based on your WAM (weighted average mark); if you haven't completed a full year at uni when you apply then it's based on your uai. Mine was based on my wam, which was good but not great, but it's not like they're exclusive scholarhsips or anything. You know you need to be on Youth Allowance or the like in order to qualify? Once you meet eligibility criteria it's more or less awarded solely on your mark. If you really want numbers (ie marks, whatever) pm me.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
how does one apply for these scholarships? if one is not a school leaver ie- already at university? what is the criteria? how much are they worth? i want one!

cayte

:) I was sent an email by the uni and it was also advertised in the centrelink newsletter. Check out the usyd website for scholarship info, it lists all those that are open for application at the moment and how to qualify and how much. The CLSs have closed for 2004 but the government has committed funding for about 17000 scholarships nationally over five years. There are two types, academic @ $2000/an for four years and accommodation (from rural/regional and living away from home to study) @$4000/an four years. But like I said before, for this one you need to be on centrelink student benefits.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
i dont get this centrelink newsletter! stupid centrelink. Calling it an organisation is the stupidest thing you can call it, it is the most unorganised department ever! I got a letter saying my youth allowance was cancelled for failure to lodge my pay info before i even got the letter saying i was going to recieve youth allowance. And the website is always down, and the PIN number service on the phone lines is down, and 98% of the people on the phone are cranky bastards. This new lodging on a set day thing is crap, i have to go line up to use a public phone at lunchtimes to lodge my pay info coz i leave home at 7 and dont get back till 7. bring back the old days of filling in forms i say!
What was your WAM? Is it based on all tertiary study or just the most recent year?

cayte

I don't have a problem with the new system, I like not having to do very much, I'd never remember to fill in the form. I've only had one time when the site was down, but anyway, the newsletter is only sent out about once a quarter, it was quite a while ago now. My WAM isn't anything flash, it was about 76 when I applied for the scholarship and I'm not sure if it's based on just the most recent year or the whole time at uni cos I only had one year to go off. And no, you can only have one scholarship at a time, egalitarian society, share the wealth type thing.

RIZAL

HSC
does anyone know what month they pay the next payment if ur on the commonwealth accom. scholarship.?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)