Communication Dot Point Help! (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
explain, using specific examples, the importance of correct interpretation of sensory signals by the brain for the coordination of animal behaviour

Can someone pls give me some info on this, I cant find anything and we don't have anything in our notes!!!

Also, when we did the brain dissection, do you think this is a good enough recount of what we found.... I don't really have any notes on this either, and I can't think of anything else to write!

We dissected a mammalian brain using a scalpel and we identified the medulla oblongata (hollow cord like structure leading to the cerebrum and cerebellum), the cerebrum (the main part of the brain, divides in two hemispheres) and the cerebellum (lying on top of the medulla oblongata). Using a diagram such as the one above we also then located the regions involved in coordinating speech, sight and sound.

Thanks for any help you can give!

crazylilmonkee

HSC
I missed the brain part!! :( so im gonna be screwed if its a fat question! waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
in terms of the correct interpretation of sensory signals.. i have examples on the effect of alcohol and drugs which impairs the transmission of messages, blocks nerve impulses by reducing plasma membrane permeability to Na+ hence the lack of action potential due to little movement of the Na+, which means slower reaction rate or even no reaction etc. Common symptoms are poor coordination of movements, lack of concentration, retarded reflexes etc
another example is age related damage or deterioration where neurones slowly gets damaged or dead from gradual loss of weight and volume of brain etc
hope it helped

s2ophie

HSC
for the brain you should be able to identify colours

swordfish

Here's my answer for that dot point (i don't know how you differentiate between dot points but i say that its Part 7 column 1 dot point 5)
EXPLAIN, USING SPECIFIC EXAMPLES, THE IMPORTANCE OF CORRECT INTERPRETATION OF SENSORY SIGNALS BY THE BRAIN FOR THE COORDINATION OF ANIMAL BEHAVIOUR.
All signals entering the brain, which may register as a number of sensations, are integrated into a single conclusion or understanding of the situation.
Your behaviour is coordinated as a result of the correct interpretation of the signals coming into your brain. This is important for the survival of the individual. The brains of many animals interpret situations in ways that result in behaviour to help their survival.
Studies on mammals and birds have shown that their nervous systems can percieve, store, process and use the information obtained by vision, hearing and other sensations to behave in ways that advantage them, e.g. the migratory patterns of birds and mammals (such as whales) depend on the correct interpretation of sensory data, its storage, processing and reuse and even adjustment (depending on new circumstances) year after year.

By the way, if ur into playing lottery with HSC questions, there was lots on the brain in the communication section of the paper last year so that could mean there wont be much this year!

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
hey sword you're a champ thakns so much for that answer... it helped heaps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

man did all you people fully answer everything in dot points... hmmm maybe i should have done that... i just did summaries, some of them by dot points but others not... shit im stuffed!

im hoping the focus in communication this year will be the eye... the eye is easy

leeraff

HSC
about playing lottery last year they actually had parts from everything

a) ear
b) brain
c) eye
d) eye

so if i were you i would study everything.

swordfish

Damn....there goes my theory....i can still play lottery but the odds are just a little more against me :-D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)