• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Communications degree's (1 Viewer)

Carlz135

HSC
Hi all. I'm in Yr 12 and ive been looking at uni courses that interest me at the moment.
The UTS communications degrees sound interesting, particulary Public Communication and Social Inquiry. I was just wondering if anyone out there is studying either of these courses and could tell me a bit about them. What do you like/dislike? What do you hope to do after the degree? What subjects do you study? What's UTS like?

I'd love to hear from you!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
What's UTS like? It's very cool, the people in the humanities faculty are great and you will meet a lot of great people. I do journalism, so I can't tell you much about pub comm or soc inq but there are others on this board that may be able to help.

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Pub. Comm is great if you like making lots of professional presentations and writing analytical reports.

There are two majors from which you can choose one - Public Relations (the major I plan to study) and Advertising. PR is more linguistically creatively based i think and advertising is more visually creatively based. Both require excellent oral skills.

UTS is the leader in Communications in Australia, therefore if you plan on venturing into a career PR or advertising, Pub. Comm. at UTS would be the ideal degree.

Last edited:
HSC
im hoping to do communications (journalism)/ international studies

can anyone tell me what either is like..?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Journalism is a lot of practical work... you have to go out and get stories and write them, plus you learn the theory. It's good, and if you want a career in journalism UTS is the place to be in my opinion. I've written tons more stuff about the course, and I can't be bothered to write it out again lol

Look at this thread:

http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34799

If you have any specific questions about journalism @ UTS feel free to ask me!

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by Carlz135
Hi all. I'm in Yr 12 and ive been looking at uni courses that interest me at the moment.
The UTS communications degrees sound interesting, particulary Public Communication and Social Inquiry. I was just wondering if anyone out there is studying either of these courses and could tell me a bit about them. What do you like/dislike? What do you hope to do after the degree? What subjects do you study? What's UTS like?

I'd love to hear from you!
i'm doing social inquiry with law and actually wanting to transfer into pub.comm!! basically, i think social inquiry on its own would provide more of an avenue for practical subjects, but as part of the law double degree its WAY too airy fairy. so im not really enjoying it much at the moment!

what would you want to be doing at the end of your degree? i think soc inquiry is probably a great degree for those with an interest in politics, but if you want a job in marketing/pr/adveritising, DEFINITELY choose pub. comm!

uts is pretty cool overall tho!

fruitbonbon17

what's so "airy fairy" about it? do you mean like, the stuff you learn in it is too broad and impractical for employment oppurtunities?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)