• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Communications/Marketing Degrees - Feedback requested. (1 Viewer)

robo-andie

HSC
Hi all,

From what I have gathered so far from most Uni websites, their Communication courses include the option to study Public Communication. I believe this includes covering Public Relations and Advertising.

I was just wondering if anyone on here is doing:

• International Communication @ Maquarie
  • B Commerce - Marketing and Public Relations @ Notre Dame
  • B Arts - Public Communication @ UTS
  • B Commerce (Marketing) @ USYD

If anyone doing any of those courses could tell me what they think of it etc I would appreciate it.
Also, anyone else who has some handy advice or information about other universities/courses which involve 'Public Relations' I would be very thankful for it.

Andy.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Just letting you know that there is no B.Marketing at USYD. You can major in Marketing with an Economics or Commerce degree.

If you want to do advertising I've heard Public Comm at UTS (as you've listed) is excellent. Also consider B.Marketing/B.Advertising (? no too sure about the full title) at Charles Sturt. Both of these are very practical degrees, so I've heard.

robo-andie

HSC
The_Apprentice said:
Just letting you know that there is no B.Marketing at USYD. You can major in Marketing with an Economics or Commerce degree.

If you want to do advertising I've heard Public Comm at UTS (as you've listed) is excellent. Also consider B.Marketing/B.Advertising (? no too sure about the full title) at Charles Sturt. Both of these are very practical degrees, so I've heard.
Thanks for that. :) I'll edit my post.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
When looking at UTS's degree, you should keep in mind that its a communications degree in public communications, not a direct advertising degree - you won't even touch advertising till second year and there is alot of communications study in it. However if you so choose you could do both PR and advertising in the degree - you don't have to choose between them either.

Also is you're looking for something good in the marketing/communications areas, I would have to agree with The_Apprentice, CSU's BA (Communications-Advertising)/BBus(Marketing) is an exceptional course.

Also, regarding the BInternational Communications course at MQ, you should be aware that you can only minor in PR, not major in it as MQ does not offer a full PR sequence to undergrads.

Other available course in the PR area include:
BCommunications at UWS
BA in Communications (Public Relations and Organisational Communications) at CSU
BCommunications (Public Relations) at UC

robo-andie

HSC
Kami you really are the University Knowledge Master.

Thanks for the extra info. I'll keep that in mind.
I'll check out the other courses tomorrow when Broadband is reconnected and I don't have to wait a whole night for one page.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
PR/Advertising/Journalism.

None of these careers require any 'real' or direct correlations with degrees. They will help, TAFE qualifications/diplomas will usually help, but in the end, they are very much a product of presentation/image and who you know/lucky breaks.

B International Communication @ MQ is more suited to ambassador/liaison positions with a focus on Asia or Europe.

robo-andie

HSC
AsyLum said:

None of these careers require any 'real' or direct correlations with degrees. They will help, TAFE qualifications/diplomas will usually help, but in the end, they are very much a product of presentation/image and who you know/lucky breaks.
I agree, I don't think the career I have planned really has need for any formal education. It is definitely about presentation and who you know, more than anything. I see a degree/diploma as a foot in the door; a guide as to where to begin.

Personally, I don't feel TAFE will give me the opportunities University will.
There are many TAFE campuses around the Bathurst region, and this just isn't the place to make the right/important connections. It wouldn't be worth moving into the City for the networking opportunities it provides, if I was only going to attend TAFE.
University is an option which provides me a good location and a higher education in one.

:) :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
For the B IntComm @ MQ, the course itself covers quite a substantive look at the traditional written media as well as the multimedia production units, which helps you gain that 'edge' for modern pieces. The Media units are very much practically grounded and has a great progression for you. A lot of people already working in PR have found it quite good, I think we had about 5-6 in my tutorial.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
USYD currently considers itself to have the best marketing major in Australia. Whilst I disagree that this is currently the case, I think it is building it's major up to meet that expectation. The major has a very broad range of courses from different aspects of marketing - advertising, PR, Research, brand management, etc. It is a very good look at each part of the industry which will no doubt be invaluable for your future career.
You can get a marketing major at USYD in many degrees (including Economics, Commerce and Economic and Social Sciences).

Also the marketing department has a lot of say in terms of decisions happening around the faculty and gets a crapload of funding. Certainly another positive.

However, if you wish to go into advertising you may have to do an additional advertising course on top of your degree to be more competitive for jobs.

AsyLum said:

B International Communication @ MQ is more suited to ambassador/liaison positions with a focus on Asia or Europe.
I disagree re: advertising. It depends on how high you want to go. If you want to become the MD of an ad agency in the long-run, then a degree certainly will certainly help you get the necessary promotions faster around the advertising workplace.

Last edited:

robo-andie

HSC
Thanks stazi, I'll keep that in mind.

Also, thankyou everyone else for your feedback.
:) It has been very helpful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)