Comparative contributions to UAI (1 Viewer)

Carnivour

HSC
Does a 95 in X1 Maths contribute more to your UAI than a 95 in Ancient History?

This question applies to all subjects that are scaled vastly different.

volition

arr.
HSC
Well, for starters, Maths Ext 1 is only 1 unit. Unless you also do Maths Ext 2, in which case they count for 2 each (I think).

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
An aligned mark (or HSC mark) of 95 in Maths Extension 1 would typically be worth more scaled marks than an aligned mark of 95 in Ancient History - thus contributing more scaled marks to your aggregate and possibly boosting your UAI.

But obviously a scaled mark of 95 in a particular course is worth the same as a scaled mark of 95 in any other course.

Carnivour

HSC
Sorry, I didnt mean to compare 1 unit and 2 unit courses. Maybe to make it clearer, my original question would be better phrased as 95 in Chem contribute more than a 95 in Ancient History.

The reason I ask this, is because I've been playing around with SAM, and it seems that a 95 in a higher scaling subject boosts my UAI more than a 95 in another subject. This confused me since I thought that after moderating, scaling, aligning, etc - this being the the bit where the 'difficulty' of the subject comes into play in terms of mark, but I thought that after you actually get your HSC mark, the type of subject the mark was received in didnt matter.

Sorry, hope that made sense....

A l

HSC
N/A
Aligning of marks is where raw marks are altered according to a standards setting procedure done by the Board of Studies.
Scaling of marks is where raw marks are altered to make all the courses 'equal' so that a particular scaled mark in one course is equal to the same scaled mark in another course.
Since the trend is that it is harder to gain higher marks in Chemistry than Ancient History, that explains why a 95 raw mark is scaled better in Chemistry than in Ancient History.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Carnivour said:
I thought that after you actually get your HSC mark, the type of subject the mark was received in didnt matter.
Unfortunately, this isn't the case.

The marks reported by the Board of Studies are not comparable between courses.

Students currently don't get given such marks. Which is a shame.

Carnivour

HSC
A I said:
a particular scaled mark in one course is equal to the same scaled mark in another course.
Lazarus said:
The marks reported by the Board of Studies are not comparable between courses.

Arghhh conflicting points!!!! Or am I just missing something?

Moreso, if I go with what Laz says, ultimately it means that even after all the moderating, aligning, scaling, etc is done to compensate for the varied difficulty of the subjects, even after I receive the final HSC mark in a subject, the calculation of the UAI still takes into account which subjects those marks were recieved in?

Last edited:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Carnivour said:
Arghhh conflicting points!!!! Or am I just missing something?

Moreso, if I go with what Laz says, ultimately it means that even after all the moderating, aligning, scaling, etc is done to compensate for the varied difficulty of the subjects, even after I receive the final HSC mark in a subject, the calculation of the UAI still takes into account which subjects those marks were recieved in?
Aligning is a process independent of the scaling process. There is no direct correlation between an aligned mark and a scaled mark. To quote A I's previous post in this thread:

A I said:
Aligning of marks is where raw marks are altered according to a standards setting procedure done by the Board of Studies.
Scaling of marks is where raw marks are altered to make all the courses 'equal' so that a particular scaled mark in one course is equal to the same scaled mark in another course.
Since the trend is that it is harder to gain higher marks in Chemistry than Ancient History, that explains why a 95 raw mark is scaled better in Chemistry than in Ancient History.
In your post above, A I is referring to scaled marks which are comparable between courses. Laz is referring to aligned marks which are not comparable between courses, but which are comparable between years within the one course.

Aligning accounts for the variation in the difficulty of an exam within the one course from year to year. Scaling accounts for the quality of the candidature in a particular course compared with all other courses and does not consider the difficulty of the course content.

X

xeuyrawp

Carnivour said:
Arghhh conflicting points!!!!
Lol, actually, I believe you have Laz's point, then you have 'the other' point.

He's totally right, and it's been known for a while that this is the case (unfortunately).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)