comparative "hardness" (1 Viewer)

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by Mr.Moonlight
I think the Q8 of proving pi is irrational was done b4, i think it's not as impossible as Qs on probability. i thought last year's paper was extremely easy, and this year's one is alrite
the last bit about the irrationality was only one mark tho!

and besides, about proving irrationality, it was done b4 with 'e' in 2001 4u. And that time there was significantly less 'leadup' questions.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by spice girl
the last bit about the irrationality was only one mark tho!

and besides, about proving irrationality, it was done b4 with 'e' in 2001 4u. And that time there was significantly less 'leadup' questions.

yeah to prepare for those questions u just have ta do past papers....i mean, we don't do proof by contradiction in the course. :rolleyes:

smeyo

yeah we should do proof by contradiction in the course cause it proves useful in the test and is a nice way of proving something...

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by smeyo
yeah we should do proof by contradiction in the course cause it proves useful in the test and is a nice way of proving something...
yeah, and hence the kids who do olympiad, and maths enrichment stuff are of considerable advantage. :)

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by freaking_out
yeah, and hence the kids who do olympiad, and maths enrichment stuff are of considerable advantage. :)
but considering that u'd have to be good at maths to do maths enrichment / olympiad, this is the same as saying that ppl who're good at maths have an advantage...

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by spice girl
but considering that u'd have to be good at maths to do maths enrichment / olympiad, this is the same as saying that ppl who're good at maths have an advantage...
yeah, but for eg. in my skool they don't offer those sorta things..coz none of the teachers know abt. it...and i think that this is prolly the case for most public skools.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by drbuchanan
freaking_out, you seem pretty dissatisfied with your teachers, school and public system.

Which school did you go to, or are you to ashamed to name it?

Also, do you think you would have done better if you went to a "better" school, maybe one with better teachers who offer enrichment/olympiad-type stuff?

Would you really have liked to go to Taylors and go to my class, or Sydney Grammar or James Ruse, etc. just to get better marks? Your memories of your school will last with you for the rest of your life. Don't you value that more than mere marks?
well i went to a skool out in the west suburbs, it is alright for some subjects (like for physics) but not for maths, and it is alright compared to the skools sorrounding it. kids do get very good marks (like 99+ uai) but usually by independent study...

but despite this i like my skool, bcoz like u said, there's more to skool than just mere marks, and i wouldn't have like to go to taylors college etc. bcoz of this...

i was just expressing my concern above, coz like i said, i never knew abt. this enrichment stuff etc. (most kids wouldn't have, heard of it like me) so it would be sorta unfair for ppl who haven't done the olympiad stuff and all that.

N

ND

Originally posted by freaking_out
(most kids wouldn't have, heard of it like me) so it would be sorta unfair for ppl who haven't done the olympiad stuff and all that.
There are only a handful of people from all around australia that go to the IMO. Even if they didn't go to the olympiad, these people would still absolutely kill you and i without a problem. :p

N

ND

Would you really have liked to go to Taylors and go to my class, or Sydney Grammar or James Ruse, etc. just to get better marks? Your memories of your school will last with you for the rest of your life. Don't you value that more than mere marks?
If i had the opportunity to go to Ruse or the like, i'd take it at the drop of a hat... Why would the 'memories' at Ruse etc. be any different to those at other schools? (if fact they'd probably be better)

smeyo

yeah i always had concerns about my school cause it was a small country high school, but i kept with it for the friends and those good times, cause i had the opportunity to go to better schools, but in a way im glad i didnt cause the school ended up doing a lot to assist my learning like i was the only one doing 4unit maths, but they gave me a teacher anyway, and heaps of extra stuff...

N

ND

Originally posted by smeyo
i was the only one doing 4unit maths, but they gave me a teacher anyway, and heaps of extra stuff...
Ditto. Though it's not too good now, cos i didn't do too well in my exam, and i have noone backing me up.

smeyo

yeah i didnt know about that when i started but i was like i wanted to do it anyway, so HSC was 100% of the mark for 4unit.... well by what ppl have told me im happy with how i did as long as it is scaled up as much as ppl have been saying

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
There's olympiad stuff on my website - and you know about that.
What's wrong with the schools surrounding yours?
yeah, but u meant to do maths enrichment stuff during ya junior years, i reckon if i was at a better skool the teachers would've prepared me betta for 4u and all that....i mean i'm lucky in my skool that they're atleast running maths comp. :)

edit: well when i said my skool is betta than most of the sorrounding skools, i meant like marks wise. :)

Originally posted by ND
There are only a handful of people from all around australia that go to the IMO. Even if they didn't go to the olympiad, these people would still absolutely kill you and i without a problem. :p
its not abt. that, but like the fact that they do extra stuff (with all those enrichment courses etc. ) gives them a distinct advantage...like i mentioned proof by contradiction-u don't find that in the course textbooks as such.

but i'm not that worried, coz like i found that this skool prepared me for real life better...and yeah, did i mention we- i get 5 points in uai, since my skool is disadvantaged. ;)

Last edited:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by ND
If i had the opportunity to go to Ruse or the like, i'd take it at the drop of a hat... Why would the 'memories' at Ruse etc. be any different to those at other schools? (if fact they'd probably be better)
well he was just tryin' to demonstrate that there is more to skools than just marks....

spice girl

magic mirror
knowing proof by contradiction will get you '1' mark out of 120 possible marks in the 2003 paper...i dun see wot the fuss is about...

evskimo

my teacher reckons its the hardest 4u paper they've asked in a long time (cept for 2000 which was meant to be similar possibly harder). the only other paper i know of that was heaps harder was 93. oh god. i woulda been lucky to pass that one. has anyone seen it?! its inSANE? i couldn't even workout which questions they woulda chose for 7 & 8 coz 6 of them were ALL TERRIBLE! oh well, back to chem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)