• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Complex Numbers Question (1 Viewer)

HSCstudent08

HSC
N/A
QUESTION: Find the complex number z with the least positive argument satisfying the condition | z - 5i | ≤ 3 (include a diagram)

thanks to anyone who can answer this question

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Equation of region is x² + (y - 5)² ≤ 9

Draw a tangent to the circle from the origin which gives the lowest argument. You could try sub y = mx into x² + (y - 5)² = 9 and find values of m for which the discriminant is zero. There should be two values, choose the one with the positive value (positive gradient for smallest argument). Once you've found m, solve simultaneously to find point of intersection, hence the complex number.

There's probably a quicker way to do it (without referring to an accurate diagram) though I can't think of it from the top of my head at the moment...

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Draw a tangent to the circle from the origin which gives the lowest argument. You could try sub y = mx into x² + (y - 5)² = 9 and find values of m for which the discriminant is zero. There should be two values, choose the one with the positive value (positive gradient for smallest argument). Once you've found m, solve simultaneously to find point of intersection, hence the complex number.
That's probably how I'd do it - I can't think of any other way. =\

lolokay

HSC

Draw a tangent to the circle from the origin which gives the lowest argument.
that should be all you need. just draw in the radius of the circle to that point and you have a right angled triangle, so you can get the angle

HSCstudent08

HSC
N/A
This is the diagram i Had:

when you're working out least positibe argument, isn't that just the angle? use tan or something to get your angle?

can anyone else find a quicker method? ans = 12/5 + 16/5 i

Last edited:

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
yeh i like to use the circle geometry way, with the fact that a radius and tangent at a point make a right angle, and you know 2 lengths of teh triangle (the radius and teh distance from O to the centre), so then use trig to find the angle, and the argument is pi/2 minus that, in this case.

the y=mx method is also good i found.

Either way works =)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
The questions asks for the complex number z, not it's argument.

To find the points you have a right angled triangle with 4 as the hypotenuse (refer to above diagram).

Since you have the argument @ (assuming so), simply for the x co-ordinate you have cos@ = x/4
x = 4cos@

Same as y, y = 4sin@

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Is it wrong to just put z = 4cis@?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
depends if it asks for cartesian or not.

haha been a while since i've seen cis@, so....eurgh.

gurmies

Drover
HSC
In theory 4cis@ is A SINGLE complex number so it would be strange to get penalised for that. I would put 4cis@ or/ x + iy to cover both, it doesn't take much time...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)