Compulsory English (1 Viewer)

nicole21290

HSC
Meh - it's just another subject. It does frustrate me sometimes but I reckon it's worth paying some attention if it means I can get to uni and do the course I want! And just for a nice little cliche to tie things off: no pain, no gain!

Oh, and it helps that I like reading and writing... (I just hate the 'how does this convey meaning?' questions!)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Re: Compolsory English

Beege said:
Lets organise a petition and get everyone to sign it then post it to the board of studies. Death to english, the UAI killer!
Say what? You have access to years and years of past papers, model responses, notes and marking guidelines. With this, the range of questions that they can throw at you become very predictable, not to mention that you should already know what is expected to score marks in the higher bands. Not only does that show how useless HSC English is, more importantly it clearly portrays that it's nothing more than a memorization and rote-learning fest, where skills and critical thinking are not needed. So, you must be pretty stupid to do shit in a subject where the answers and basically questions have already been given to you, in various forms.

Last edited:

lilmissloz

HSC
yeoldejeremy said:
I feel so helpless. I feel I can't make a difference to future generations. Are we doomed to all be subject to this cruel and unusual form of punishment. Countless individuals have killed themselves over this and I think it is time to put an end to this suffering. What can I do?
I agree.
My UAI is gonna suffer majorly because of English and I won't get into Uni because of it.
According to me if you wanna do well at English you have to study it all the time which means you won't have time for any of your other subjects.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
chocolate_lover said:
As much as I don't like English, I feel that it wouldn't be as bad if it involved things that we would actually use in everyday life.

Things such as grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. rather than poetry or essay writing.

Meh, just my opinion. :)
Studying grammar intensively for two years would actually be like hell. That would be something I'd object to.

lilmissloz said:
My UAI is gonna suffer majorly because of English and I won't get into Uni because of it.
English only makes up 20% of your UAI. I got a mid-90s UAI with a low Band 5 in English, if you're competent in other subjects there's no way you'd get a UAI so low that you won't be able to get into uni.

HSC
chocolate_lover said:
As much as I don't like English, I feel that it wouldn't be as bad if it involved things that we would actually use in everyday life.

Things such as grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. rather than poetry or essay writing.

Meh, just my opinion.
i didnt exactly like english or anything either in high school but i'd rather be doing the current syllabus than study grammar. grammar is basic anyway, you wouldn't be teaching that up to year 12. might i add learning how to write is a very important skill too.

Triangulum said:
English only makes up 20% of your UAI. I got a mid-90s UAI with a low Band 5 in English, if you're competent in other subjects there's no way you'd get a UAI so low that you won't be able to get into uni.
i got a low band 4 in english with a low 80 uai. funnily enough english wasn't my worst subject either. but yeah anyway point is its one subject, you can make up what you lack in english into all your other subjects!

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
lilmissloz said:
According to me if you wanna do well at English you have to study it all the time which means you won't have time for any of your other subjects.

...ahah i beg to differ...

english is the one thing i hardly ever touch until i have an essay or soemthing due..

i hardly ever write essays out anyway..
all i do is have a couple of pages of notes sorting through the themes/concepts of the texts.. combine that with technique ID to enforce my understanding....

and then perhaps have a rough sketch of logical progression [ie which points flow onto the next..]

unfortunately i leave this until the night before generally...
but i usually spend a while thinking thru the concepts in my head without writing them down...

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
yeoldejeremy said:
You people are so humourless. Yes, I did spell one word wrong, so the hell what? You're not all using capitals when it is appropriate. English is guaranteed to kill my UAI, so I think it's silly that if I don't do well in English then I may not get into university and I'll be poor all my life. Why should something so pointless as this be so pivotal to my future? Enjoy your Extension English.
lol ..
extension english is better than advanced imo.
haha .. well i enjoy extension more than advanced x]

HSC
there is no need to teach grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc in yr 12

by this time, any student (standard or advanced) should be pretty competent in this area

grammar, spelling and punctuation are the foundations of english and writing in particular, which is why such aspects are taught in primary school - not high school

exceptions obviously exist for people who are just beginning to learn the english language

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
nichhhole said:
...ahah i beg to differ...

english is the one thing i hardly ever touch until i have an essay or soemthing due..

i hardly ever write essays out anyway..
all i do is have a couple of pages of notes sorting through the themes/concepts of the texts.. combine that with technique ID to enforce my understanding....

and then perhaps have a rough sketch of logical progression [ie which points flow onto the next..]

unfortunately i leave this until the night before generally...
but i usually spend a while thinking thru the concepts in my head without writing them down...
That's pretty much me as well :(

yeoldejeremy

HSC
I'm doing my HSC English this year because of pathways. And I am freaking the fuck out. It seems that no matter how hard I try to take their advice on board I can never seem to get good marks. Sometimes I can tell when I am going to do well, but in my half course exam I was really pleased with myself, yet I got under 50%. There are those hectic Asians who cream the physics and maths exams, but there are also some people who are really really good at English. I'm just afraid that I won't get into uni because of English. I think it's highly likely, since I'm unlikely to get a band 6 in anything. Mostly band 4s, methinks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)