computer engineering (1 Viewer)

compower1

computer engineering/transfering at unsw or usyd

HI !(im kinda new at this)

im doing alrite in subjects, and will proly get a uai around the mid or high 80s....unfortunately computer engineering's cut offs for the past few years have been around the low 90s area, and its unlikely it will change. Are there any other ways to get into comp eng at unsw, or uysd ? ? ?

Last edited:

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Welcome compower1

You can do Comp Sci, which has a UAI of about 85. You can then either tailor your course to be similar to Comp Eng, or transfer in after Sem 1.

compower1

re: above

yes...i could do that...but the teachers and carrers adivisor iv talked to say its wont me as easy as everyone makes it out to be...so im hoping to find a way where i can get into to comp eng straight away...mabe with a folder of my work i can do or something, like some of the other courses have, to lower the uai

Huy

HSC
N/A
Computer Engineering is UAI only.

If it accepted "folders/samples of work" then it would be U+C.
(other criteria, such as interviews, external tests, portfolios, etc).

To lower the UAI, you would have to apply via EAS/Access scheme, but there is no guarantee that you will make it. If not, (and I believe it is too late), you can sit for UWS/RET and do computer engineering there, if you are dedicated/passionate about becoming a computer engineer/etc.

:)

compower1

re above...

thanx for the suggestion but i would rather do comp science...and defer....than stuff up my future...with UWS (no offence to UWS i just don like the place), as i sure there would a good reason there uai's are about 30 points lower, comp eng is 60 there.

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by compower1
im hoping to find a way where i can get into to comp eng straight away
Originally posted by compower1
i would rather do comp science...and differ
By 'differ' - do yo mean defer? or transfer? As McLake as suggested:
Originally posted by McLake
You can do Comp Sci, which has a UAI of about 85. You can then either tailor your course to be similar to Comp Eng, or transfer in after Sem 1.
Computer engineering is computer engineering.
I understand what you're saying about UWS, however.

Good luck :)

compower1

thanx for all ur replys...
but can anyone tell me wat are the complications in transfering courses at unsw, usyd.
is all the stuff the carrers advisor say is true or is it much simplier,
so if u'v transfered from any engineering subjects pls explain...

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
A UAI of 80+ and a distinction average in your first year of university should allow you to transfer to computer engineering.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
for the first year of uni at UNSW your subjects in comp eng will be very similar to (if not the same as) the subjects in comp sci. so you won't have to 'start all over again'.

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by Lazarus
A UAI of 80+ and a distinction average in your first year of university should allow you to transfer to computer engineering.
u wudnt need a dn average to transfer into comp engg .... a cr average wud suffice ... provided u get 85-87 uai

Mr MU

Originally posted by Da Monstar
u wudnt need a dn average to transfer into comp engg .... a cr average wud suffice ... provided u get 85-87 uai
yeah..., it should be about cr average to get into comp eng

i'm a 1st yr computer engieering student , and i can say that to get dn average in comp sci is pretty hard. especially discrete maths 1081, it was a real nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by Mr MU
yeah..., it should be about cr average to get into comp eng

i'm a 1st yr computer engieering student , and i can say that to get dn average in comp sci is pretty hard. especially discrete maths 1081, it was a real nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!
hahaha i rekon aye! good luck with finite next yr *shudders* :cold:

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by mp3mojo
i dont think comp eng ppl have to do finite maths
shoosh up diesel :p
its not compulsory, but many ppl choose to do it in 2nd yr over "fundamentals of accounting" ....

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
so... how hard are the maths in uni?
can anyone gimme a description of the different maths u gotta do?

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
well, i can only say for UNSW first year compsci :)
(higher) mathematics 1A - should be easy if you've done 4u, it's "basic" algebra and calculus (complex numbers, vectors, matrices, integration, differentiation, limits, etc)

(higher) mathematics 1B - is an extension of 1A and is equally boring.. actually, I'm enjoying it more than 1A due to better tutors and lecturers and stuff. Set theory, vector spaces, ODEs, etc

Discrete maths (1081) - is really REALLY interesting if you enjoy mathematical theory. set theory in detail, graph theory, number theory, probability etc. And it's also considered one of the hardest first year courses.

There's also maths for actuarial degrees which is harder and there's maths for life sciences which is easier.
And discrete for engineers (1091) is 3 CP instead of 6.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)