• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Computer VS Handwriting (+ how to study?) (1 Viewer)

epicFAILx

HSC
Ok, Officially in Year 12.. its awkward and scary at the same time. Oh well. Its inevitable....... -_-

Just out of curiousity. What is the best way to write study notes. Typing or writing?

+ what is the best way of studying for my subjects.
Here is what i do so far:

ENG- (not sure)
BIO- Reviewing class work and using excel HSC book to generate notes
SOR- probably will be the same as bio
MATHS/ PHYS- past papers and formula sheet
DRAMA- re-reading plays.. not sure what to write notes about

please help.

OH what is a good way to study.. as in study shedule. Hour, every 2hours?

curious.. is all:D

Pfortune35

HSC
handwrite them out first and then type them, they'll look neater and your going through the content twice which acts as revision

zombies

HSC
^ I go the other way around. I just type things up, get everything in order and under the right headings and stuff and then I rewrite everything onto paper. I find handwritten notes are better because you can draw up diagrams, which is easier than trying to find them on the internet/draw them up on the PC and you can have like little annotations everywhere.. just gets a bit harder to figure things out in a word processor I guess.

I don't really do much study though.. I guess I better start next year.

As for a good way to study, I find working in short bursts really really helps me. Google 'Pomodoro'. Its this method where you work for 25mins, and then take a 5min break. After 2hours you take a longer break for like 15min. I find it's really good because since you're only working for 25minutes at a time, you sorta try and rush and try and get more done in the 25minutes before you take the break. And it's nice to take lots of breaks =P Rather than trying to work for 2hours straight and getting really bored in the process. I can easily get through work when using Pomodoros.

albeitunique

HSC
I'm having a lot of problems just sitting down and settling into the study routine. I'll look up this Pomodoro Technique, thanks :D

CriminalCrab

HSC
Here's what i think (i've tried both):
Handwritten:
- diagrams easier to draw + quicker (and arrows!)
- usually "feels" like you will remember coz you will be writing it in the exam
- allows extra notes and stuff you might wanna write on the side and still looks consistent
- takes up a lot more paper
- slower

Typing:
- if you like to be neat, word processors can make it look professional - header's, borders..etc.
- convenient to make multiple copies - printing vs scanning/photocopying
- faster
-saves paper - can duplex print
- easier to correct or add extra notes that you missed before (in the right sections and still look neat)
- diagrams can be hard to make
- may strain eyes - staring at computer screen

So weigh it up. But of course it depends what type of person you are.
Maths/physics - try to UNDERSTAND and do lots of questions (they help you understand and makes memorising formulas easier)
English - i think getting the ideas (e.g. themes, quotes) on paper will help. Do research. Practice essay writing.

Hope this will help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)