• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Concepts of belonging in : The Book Thief and Anna Karenina (1 Viewer)

itslily

HSC
I've read The Book Thief (Markus Zusak) and watched the 2012 adaptation of Anna Karenina (Joe Wright). However I'm struggling to find concepts of belonging in both of them.
I know there is the notion of 'identity' and 'acceptance in ones own country' in 'The Book Thief' and that ties in with belonging/not belonging. I also know that towards the end of the movie, when Anna returns to elite society, she is clearly isolated and and rejected, which feeds into the concept of not belonging.
But I feel like I'm missing out on some other important concepts of belonging.
Are there any others I have not picked up yet?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe reading on analyses of both texts on the net or from study guides in the library might give you more ideas- I think if you are sincerely struggling to find concepts of belonging-perhaps it could be best to change at least one of your related text, what is your prescribed text? -a good related text should not only explore many aspects about belonging-it should ideally relate very well to your prescribed text-do both of your texts relate well to your prescribed?

itslily

HSC
My prescribed text is 'The Namesake'. It also deals with issues concerning identity. I was thinking of doing 'The Catcher in the rye' as it also deals with growing up, finding your identity and struggling to belong. But right now, I have no idea on which ones to choose.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I would recommend using catcher in the rye as one of your related text-it will relate so well:)

essayqueen

HSC
N/A
I would recommend using catcher in the rye as one of your related text-it will relate so well:)
I would consider NOT using The Catcher in the Rye as it is quite a popular related text and won't set you apart. The Book Thief is a great choice but I would perhaps choose a second related text that is not historical; give yourself a broader time spectrum :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)