Conflict in the pacific - Pearl Harbour (1 Viewer)

Pace_T

HSC
Hello everybody,
Can someone please help me out with this question. It's for an assignment:

Evaluate Japan's motives for the attack on Pearl Harbour and explain the consequences of this attack on Japan's desire to create an empire.

I don't really know where to start. Does anyone know where I can get some notes on these parts of the course? I've looked in the resource section but there isn't much.
Could someone please outline the things I need to talk about in this to get a top response?

Thank you very much.

cartzz

HSC
If you're still doing it, i dunno if you are it was a fair while ago, try to find a guy called Ienaga (i think his first name is akira?), a Japanese historian who is vv good.
In terms of the assessment itself, you should look at Japan's need for raw materials, which was the main reason for imperial expansion, which brought US into the war in the first place.
Pearl harbour itself was seen as a strategic way of knocking the US out of the war quickly with a knock out blow by destroying its pacific fleet, which would allow japan to go on with its expansion relatively unchallenged.

Just read Ienaga, its good.l

johnny_87

HSC
The Japanese hoped that by destroying their Pacific Fleet, the US would negotiate peace and lose Hawaii to Japan. The Pacific Fleet (or what remained of it) would have to be moved a few thousand miles back to the west coast of the US.

This would allow Japanese imperialism to grow, with the empire expanding to include all of South-East Asia and Australasia.

johnny_87

HSC
Contested Spaces - Conflict in the Pacific

That's a good source, although I'm not sure if it's on the net

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)