Context for love in Merchant of Venice (1 Viewer)

Leggie

HSC
Does anyone have any context for love during the Elizabethan era? For the love between Antonio and Bassanio, I am talking about the risks of trading and how this connects with Antonio's willingness to help Bassanio. However, for the love between Bassanio and Portia, I am not sure as to what to talk about.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
With reference to the following passage from Act 3, Scene 2:

"How all the other passions fleet to air,
As doubtful thoughts, and rash-embraced despair,
And shuddering fear, and green-eyed jealousy!
O love, be moderate. Allay thy ecstasy.
In measure rein thy joy. Scant this excess.
I feel too much thy blessing. Make it less,
For fear I surfeit."

After Bassanio finally chooses the correct box, Portia describes her true feelings of love for Bassanio to the audience. She reveals the excitement of new love and appears to be in a state of extreme joy and happiness. She describes the way in which her feelings of love overpower negative feelings, such as jealousy or fear. She also recognises the extent to which these feelings of love can seem overwhelming. Despite not knowing each other very well, Portia’s expressions serve as proof that love can come quickly and unexpectedly.

Perhaps you could examine the notion of love coming quickly and unexpectedly using your knowledge and understanding of the Merchant of Venice and assess its relevance in an effort to establish some sort of point.

I hope this helps! :D

Leggie

HSC
With reference to the following passage from Act 3, Scene 2:

"How all the other passions fleet to air,
As doubtful thoughts, and rash-embraced despair,
And shuddering fear, and green-eyed jealousy!
O love, be moderate. Allay thy ecstasy.
In measure rein thy joy. Scant this excess.
I feel too much thy blessing. Make it less,
For fear I surfeit."

After Bassanio finally chooses the correct box, Portia describes her true feelings of love for Bassanio to the audience. She reveals the excitement of new love and appears to be in a state of extreme joy and happiness. She describes the way in which her feelings of love overpower negative feelings, such as jealousy or fear. She also recognises the extent to which these feelings of love can seem overwhelming. Despite not knowing each other very well, Portia’s expressions serve as proof that love can come quickly and unexpectedly.

Perhaps you could examine the notion of love coming quickly and unexpectedly using your knowledge and understanding of the Merchant of Venice and assess its relevance in an effort to establish some sort of point.

I hope this helps! :D
Thanks. Also Jimmy, do you think that there would be any historical context associated with love?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)