• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

context of bnw/br? (1 Viewer)

bally24

HSC
what is the:
social
political
cultural
context of bladerunner and brave new world? i'm having issues with the social context of br, but ill write everything else ive got as well:

Political context of BR = reagan, thatcherism, growth of multinations, advertising
Political context of BNW = totalitarianism in form of communism (Russia) and fascism (italy) in lead up to WW2. Need for stability after great depression.

Cultural context of BR = concerns about the enviornment (greenhouse effect global warming), growth in science and technology with computers, fear that they would take over.
Cultural context of BNW = mass production & worship of Henry Ford, model T car, growth in genetic engineering and technology - helicopters.

Social context of BR = what??????? nothing seems to fit in here.
Social context of BNW = hedonism, the Roaring Twenties, need for release after depression and WW1.

this isn't homework or anything, im trying to sort out all the mounds of stuff we need to know about BR/BNW so i remember it better.
If u know BR's social context please please enlighten me!....and feel free to add anything i missed. thanks :)

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
bally24 said:
what is the:
social
political
cultural
context of bladerunner and brave new world? i'm having issues with the social context of br, but ill write everything else ive got as well:

Political context of BR = reagan, thatcherism, growth of multinations, advertising
Political context of BNW = totalitarianism in form of communism (Russia) and fascism (italy) in lead up to WW2. Need for stability after great depression.

Cultural context of BR = concerns about the enviornment (greenhouse effect global warming), growth in science and technology with computers, fear that they would take over.
Cultural context of BNW = mass production & worship of Henry Ford, model T car, growth in genetic engineering and technology - helicopters.

Social context of BR = what??????? nothing seems to fit in here.
Social context of BNW = hedonism, the Roaring Twenties, need for release after depression and WW1.

this isn't homework or anything, im trying to sort out all the mounds of stuff we need to know about BR/BNW so i remember it better.
If u know BR's social context please please enlighten me!....and feel free to add anything i missed. thanks :)
uve pretty much hammered it. got all the key words and good points down. well done!

now, with the social context of BR --> ur right when it says that nothing fits in here, cos we are kinda alien to the notion of 'anti-social'.

realise that society is pretty much abandoned. all those who are healthy and fit enough for space travel have gone to the "Off World". all those who faild medical examinations, e.g. disabled, mentally deranged, people with chronic sickness...are left on earth to slowly die under the acid rain and the pollution.

also good to note that in terms of a social heirarchy, we have the pinnacle filled with corporate fat cats - like the managers and executives who run Tyrell Corporation, including Eldon Tyrell himself. then, u got the lackeys, described in the previous paragraph, strongly under the rule of these fat cats.

u can also say that there IS no social context because there is the blur between human and machines ==> the replicants. human and human nature are no longer valued in BR, and along with it, any social values humanity holds on to so dearly.

hope it helps, M.D.

bally24

HSC
^^ okay thanks for that, it really helps! ummm what about the actual context though....is that just fear of the development of computers and stuff?

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
bally24 said:
^^ okay thanks for that, it really helps! ummm what about the actual context though....is that just fear of the development of computers and stuff?
ummmmm on that fear of computers...its more about the fear of artificial intelligence, how machines, something made of nuts and bolts, can mimic human behaviour --> leads to our looss of humanity, because we dont know if a person is a human...or a machine, judged by their actions and emotions. thats why there is the Void-Kampf test (i think thats what its called) which tries to distinguish between replicants and humans.

rockets

HSC
N/A
need some help.
what can you conclude about value of nature to humanity from endings of the texts

Rinni

HSC
Would part of the social context be the various sub-cultures that were present in the 80's?? Eg cyberpunk, modernism, postmodernism, sci-fi. Thats what we've been looking at.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Rinni said:
Would part of the social context be the various sub-cultures that were present in the 80's?? Eg cyberpunk, modernism, postmodernism, sci-fi. Thats what we've been looking at.
mmmmm that is quite interesting that u have pointed that out. to an extent, yes, u can say that there are these 'sub-cultures', but my question to you now is this: how does these sub-cultures help to further support or exaserbate humanity's breaking from nature?

but then, i suppose its only an exercise, so these 'sub-cultures' are valid, in the 80's, and are (hopefully) reflected in the film.

Rockets said:
need some help.
what can you conclude about value of nature to humanity from endings of the texts.
that humanity is lost 'in the wild', ie that humanity has lost its relationship with nature - it has been devalued, or destroyed, replaced by more consumerist and totalitarian values.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)