• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Continuous functions? (1 Viewer)

Z

Zeppelin

[it]

[large gap]

[my head]

Lecture notes are useless. How the hell does one figure out the answer to 2 for the online quiz?

Collin

HSC
N/A
You know, since this is a forum for the entire USYD demographic.. not everyone is gonna instantly catch onto what subject/quiz week etc. etc. you're talking about.

And just to help us, maybe you should actually post the question up.

Adam

HSC
Basically just sub in numbers like crazy in the given x values. Don't really know how else to explain it, apart from don't get yourself stressed over it.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Zeppelin said:
Good thinking. I'm so stressed out right now, I just didn't have the presence of mind to do it. ^_^

But seriously, uni is really getting to me. I feel overwhelmed by work, and what's more, work that I just can't seem to grasp. Someone tell me I'm not the only one... :'(

MATH1001, question 2 of chapter 6.

http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/UG/JM/MATH1001/Quizzes/quiz6.html
The most obvious method would be to simply sketch the graph. I take it you know how to do that? Simply sketch each 'part' of the function for their given domains onto the one plane. Then it becomes apparent (graphically) that at x = -1, the function is discontinuous.

Collin

HSC
N/A
An often quicker method is to see if y values of the domain boundaries of the three different parts of the function match up. For example, one boundary is -1. By substitution we realise that f(-1) does not = g(-1), where f(x) = x + 4 and g(x) = x2. I think that's what Adam was trying to assert here.. except you only need to substitute the values at the domain boundaries of the separate parts of the function.. i.e -1 and 1 (assuming you know that each of those separate 'mini-functions' are continuous throughout their entire stated domains. The graphical method I stated above illustrates how this works quite well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)