• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Convention of naming points (1 Viewer)

K

khorne

What is the correct way to name a shape (series of points)? I have always thought you start with the point which is to the left, and name them in a clockwise direction...

bachviete

HSC
N/A
This is generally what you do, but of course if the shape has points D, C, B and A it is conventional to start with the first one alphabetically ie A, then just go clockwise around the shape.

Cazic

HSC
There is no 'correct' way, but I think top to bottom, left to right, is the most natural way for English speakers since that's how we read and write.

For example, a triangle with two rows of points, one at the top and two below, I would name the top point A (or whatever naming system you're using), then move down to the next row and label them B and C in the left to right order.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
As long as the naming of points outlines the shape in any direction, it should be fine...

Cazic

HSC
As long as the naming of points outlines the shape in any direction, it should be fine...
Oh yeah, good point. In the case of a square, when you refer to the square ABCD, it's implicit in that listing of vertices that there are edges between AB, BC, CD and DA, or written another way, (AB)CD, A(BC)D, AB(CD), A)BC(D.

So the left to right, top to bottom thing I suggested doesn't work in general. Sorry about that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)