conventions of crime fiction (1 Viewer)

bex

HSC
what are the conventions of crime fiction!? apart from the usual... crime, denouement etc?

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
Have you ever heard of the detective decologue? i am trying to find a reference for it at the moment. its like the ten goldren rules set donw by some dude in the 19th centuary (ie, the killer can not be an unknown stranger/twin/double) its really good to refer to, particluarly in relation to Christie as she brakes one rule every novel.
This is what i said were the conventions in an assignment

A morally upright, intelligent and isolated protagonist who often has a personal interest in the case
A crime (usually a murder with other crimes being committed either as a result of or as the cause of the murder)
A villain, often physically as well as metaphorically ugly and/or deformed
Clues and red herrings or false clues that lead to the solving of the crime. These clues are often so difficult to see that only the incredible intellect of the sleuth can see them, though from the point they are revealed, seem obvious.
Danger and or conflict that must be faced by the hero.
A satisfactory resolution, where right is restored to the world and justice has been dealt out by the protagonist
Ethical decisions and a moral message.

Hope i helped!

Rosencrantz

Thanks for the advice Smegger_em! If you find that info get back to us will you (please) because during the trial i had to bluff like there was no tomorrow re: Conventions of Crime Fiction.

Wintermute

I found it.

Ronald Knoxs A Detective Story Decalogue (1928)
is as follows:

One
The criminal must be someone mentioned in the early part of the story, but must not be anyone whose thoughts the reader has been allowed to follow.

Two
All supernatural or preternatural agencies are ruled out as a matter of course.

Three
Not more than one secret or passage is allowed.

Four
No hitherto undiscovered poisons may be used, nor any appliance which will need a long scientific explanation at the end.

Five
No Chinaman* must figure in the story.
*or other mysterious alien

Six
No accident must ever help the detective, nor must he ever have an unaccountable intuition which proves to be right.

Seven
The detective must not commit the crime.

Eight
The detective must not light on any clues which are not instantly produced for the inspection of the reader.

Nine
The stupid friend of the detective, the Watson, must not conceal any thoughts which pass through his mind; his intelligence must be slightly, but very slightly, below that of the average reader.

Ten
Twin brothers, and doubles generally, must not appear unless we have been duly prepared for them.

Jellymonsta

There's another one that's similar to that by Van Dine (1928).... but its like 20 points, and is not quite as bound by values of the time.
I think it's too big to post, but if any1 is interested email me and ill send it to you.
Btw the "No Chinaman" rule from Knox isnt a racial slur, its a reaction - the foreign or exotic character as malefactor was an overused plot mechanism in Knox's era (1929)

Jellymonsta

Yeah but you can reference the Knox thing if you want to talk about how values in society have changed over time, and how it is reflected in crime fiction having less taboos and being subverted more etc

bex

HSC
i completely forgot that i started this thread! But thanks so much for the 10 points! A key part of this course is examinng how the genre has developed over time and through context.. so i think it would be good to bring that up in an essay...

lemonboy

HSC
N/A
thats all good then,

but what is themes are most appropriated in crime fiction texts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)