• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Converting AAC to Mp3 (1 Viewer)

tomzies88

hi guys, ive had my ipod for a while now and all my songs are in itunes in aac format. Well i recently got an mp3/cd player for my car and i want to burn some mp3 cd's, only problem is that i cant when the songs are in aac format. I've tried converting them through i tunes but i takes forever and only makes another copy of it (not replacing it). So i was wondering if anyone knew of a program that could do it quickly. Thanks

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
tomzies_88 said:
I've tried converting them through i tunes but i takes forever and only makes another copy of it (not replacing it).
Any convertor will make a copy of it. It reencodes the file as MP3 and creates the file on your computer. Although slower, Itunes if probably the most convenient for this conversion :)

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
avoid losing a generation if you can. Most of the songs you download would be mp3s and I suggest you just re-rip your cds to mp3s instead of converting the aacs.

I'm not 100% sure how generation loss words with audio, but if it's anything like video, you don't want to be making copies of copies (ie:converting a lossy format to another lossy format)

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
What's wrong with using the iPod in the car?

Get an iTrip, or get a cassette thing with an audio cable attached to it (which you probably already have for the mp3cd player)

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Fosweb said:

Get an iTrip, or get a cassette thing with an audio cable attached to it (which you probably already have for the mp3cd player)
I havent used one, but the reason im not getting one is because ive heard it can only transmit 2-3 meters line of sight.....which maybe finei n the car, but not at home etc.

MedNez

HSC
N/A
Hm, this article from Ipod Lounge had an interesting review and first impressions of the Itrip. Audio cassette w/ audio cable is a nice option for older cars, or even newer cars, too =)

Fosweb

HSC
iTrip is an FM transmitter... which means it doesnt need line of site, you just need an FM reciever to pick up the signal.

Ditto with the Belkin one that does the same thing.

They work a fair distance away: my mates works at the other end of his house to a radio.

tomzies88

Fosweb said:

do u realise how hard it is to control the ipod while ur driving?

MedNez

HSC
N/A
Heh, that's why you make playlists and let it play out =)

Fosweb

HSC
tomzies_88 said:
do u realise how hard it is to control the ipod while ur driving?
Not as hard as changing cds when your tracks run out every few hours.
About as hard as controlling an mp3 cd player with less music on it than your ipod.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Fosweb said:

i got the Griffin iTrip and it is shit.. i find a blank station and it only catches the music when your iPod is right next to the radio (i mean <10 cms to it)- any further it fucks over to static..

also it pisses me off that when you shuffle songs, it may play the stations (no, fuck off! i'm not going to make another 'smart playlist') - i just uninstalled the iTrip software.

Fosweb

HSC
See my previous post.

On your problem with playing shuffled stations: just delete all the ones that you dont use. Which will be all of them except one. Hrmm... s.m.r.t....

Control your temper.

And read here: http://www.griffintechnology.com/downloads/pdf/itrip/TheMacMind.pdf
:: Throughout a house ::

And here:
http://www.ipodlounge.com/reviews_more.php?id=439_0_6_0_M
:: 6 feet before any static ::

And here:
http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/itrip-review.html
:: 20-25 feet away ::

I heard the original ones weren't so good though.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
ok i'll try it again and see what happens- i'll gather dust if i don't...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)