• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

converting GPA (1 Viewer)

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
how do I convert a GPA in the 4.0 system to one in the 7.0 system?

X

xeuyrawp

You generally can't; you have to recalculate it based on the 7.0 system. If you do a search for "GPA Calculator" as a thread title, you'll find a calculator somewhere. (Edit) Or you can do it by hand, where F=0, CP=3, P=4, C=5, D=6, HD=7.

4.0 system is really shite, imo. I have a Macquarie GPA of >3.9/4 (one credit over three years of study), but a 6.7. I've never understood why they have it - probably just to continually prove the shitness of the university generally.

Last edited by a moderator:

spence

HSC
For UTS GPAs, you can add 3 to convert them, but this only works if you have no fails. But seriously, its not hard to work it out yourself

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
PwarYuex said:
You generally can't; you have to recalculate it based on the 7.0 system. If you do a search for "GPA Calculator" as a thread title, you'll find a calculator somewhere. (Edit) Or you can do it by hand, where F=0, CP=3, P=4, C=5, D=6, HD=7.

4.0 system is really shite, imo. I have a Macquarie GPA of >3.9/4 (one credit over three years of study), but a 6.7. I've never understood why they have it - probably just to continually prove the shitness of the university generally.
Hey PwarYuex! How are you going?

Is this your final year?

X

xeuyrawp

Survivor39 said:
Hey PwarYuex! How are you going?
Hi! =D

I'm well, mang, how're you? Thesisising going well? I've been attempting to, and looking at other peoples' as well (have about 10 friends who are near the end of their theses).

Is this your final year?
Nah I'm doing hons part time because I'm doing about 100 things at the same time. Glad I did, because if I was full time, I'd be halfway through. :cold: I've only now nailed down my approach to the topic - I still need to make a database, chose some lovely texts to apply my methodology to, and actually write the damn thing.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I'm good also. I'm having an annual PhD progress review in the next few week looking at what we have done (or haven't done) during the first 9 months of our PhD. This involves giving a presentation to the school (*sighs*) and write a 5 page report. argh. I guess this whole process helps keep us focus and forces us do experiments I suppose.

So part honours I see. Well it will take you some time then. But then again there is no need to rush, not like you want to rush into a PhD or something after. :)

X

xeuyrawp

Survivor39 said:
I'm good also. I'm having an annual PhD progress review in the next few week looking at what we have done (or haven't done) during the first 9 months of our PhD. This involves giving a presentation to the school (*sighs*) and write a 5 page report. argh. I guess this whole process helps keep us focus and forces us do experiments I suppose.
Oooh, progress reviews...

Also, presentations as part of assessment (in any form) are a necessary evil, imo, for anyone who's doing any postgrad work. You'd be surprised how many PhD students I see who still can't present properly. Even if they just want to do research, I still think that presentations/teaching experience is really important.

So part honours I see. Well it will take you some time then. But then again there is no need to rush, not like you want to rush into a PhD or something after. :)
Yeah well I'm doing more than a fulltime load of uni work (am doing another UG degree concurrently), so I'm still busy. :p And yes, I don't want to rush into a PhD after anyway.

I'm looking at various options of studying overseas post-Honours - I think the American system (which effectively combines MA coursework and research with PhD coursework and research) is really what I need given the flexibility; although in the end, the uni I go to will probably be exclusively chosen due to funding. I've narrowed the list down to about 9 unis worldwide, so cross your fingers for me in advance. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)