coordinate covalent bond (1 Viewer)

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
A coordinate covalent bond forms when one atom in a species (a molecule or ion containing non-metallic atoms) provides both electrons in the covalent bond.

scruffy012

HSC
yep

yeah thats aboput right but in the exam, u need to give an example i use NH4+ or ammonia ion the extra hydrogen ion attaches itself to an ammonium molecule to form, because it states "describe........"

NH3 + H+ -> NH4+ (all aq or gas)

it is through the electronegitivity of the electron pair in the NH3 molecule, that the hydrogen ion gets attracted to the molecule, and attaches itself to form the co-ordinate covalent bond.

Hope it made some sense

Scruffy

Feral

HSC
No offence but the above person stated using NH3/NH4, sorry but look at your syllabus and it makes it clear they want you to use OZONE as an example, its quite easy to look at the dot point and read around it and OH WOW ALL OZONE!

• Describe ozone as a molecule able to act both as an upper atmosphere UV radiation shield and a lower atmosphere pollutant
• Describe the formation of a coordinate covalent bond
• Demonstrate the formation of coordinate covalent bonds using Lewis electron dot structures
• Compare the properties of the oxygen allotropes O2 and O3 and account for them on the basis of molecular structure and bonding

• Compare the properties of the gaseous forms of oxygen and the oxygen free radical

shut up lorance, you dont even do chemistry, or any science for that matter

Somebody beat me to it damn :(

Last edited:

za

HSC
in the independant paper they ask for NH4 as an example of a c.c.b

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
But to describe the formation, i think we also need to talk of what would cause the formation, as in ozone it is UV generating oxygen radicals. in NH4, well, thats an acid isn't it. so it would have gained a hydrogen ion with a cc.b

scruffy012

HSC
oops

well oops, and sorry... i wasn't thinking about the syllabus, i was only using NH3/NH4+ as an example because that is the best example that i can can use as an effective example.

ill double check the sy;llabus next time, but all he was asking was how do co-oridnate covalent's.

Sorry

Scruffy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)