• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Copper "ox-hide" Ingots (1 Viewer)

glo-stick91

HSC
Hi everyone. im in need of help
Ok. So my ancient assignment is about Mycenae. We all got given a different archaeological source. mine is a picture of a copper "ox-hide" ingot.

Basically we have to discuss its origin, materials, purposes/functions and any debates or questions about the objects origins or use.

Seems pretty simple, but I keep coming across the same information which basically says "copper ingots could be melted down to make other products such as jewellery, pottery, etc. It was traded for other materials"

This isn't really sufficient to make a substantial report with.

So pretty much what im asking for is if people can help me in anyway, either through their own knowledge or if they could direct me to any sites that may help me.

Thank you:wave:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Hi everyone. im in need of help
Ok. So my ancient assignment is about Mycenae. We all got given a different archaeological source. mine is a picture of a copper "ox-hide" ingot.

Basically we have to discuss its origin, materials, purposes/functions and any debates or questions about the objects origins or use.

Seems pretty simple, but I keep coming across the same information which basically says "copper ingots could be melted down to make other products such as jewellery, pottery, etc. It was traded for other materials"

This isn't really sufficient to make a substantial report with.

So pretty much what im asking for is if people can help me in anyway, either through their own knowledge or if they could direct me to any sites that may help me.

Thank you:wave:
Well, i dont know anything about Mycenae, even less since i don't know what time period we're looking at but heres my advice:

- If your time period is pre-historic, then the melting down of these to make jewellery etc is actually really important! To smelt, cast, shape metal without modern technology is pretty difficult if you think about it it, if this is being done, your looking at a pretty technologically advanced society.

- If they are putting the time and resources into working the metal in such ways, there is evidence for specialized industries (craftsmen) which could suggest complex social structure (stratified hierarchy etc).

-Also, if time and resources are being spent on this kind of craftsmanship, is that evidence for economic/social stability?

- Another important point is trade- who are they trading with and why? What was it that Mycenae lacked to need to trade? Did this trade result in political alliances etc, was it used to gain power/leverage? Was this trade even international? or was it inter-regional? If they are receiving goods and having relations with other countries, did these other countries have any cultural impact on Mycenae?

thats all i can think of atm, hope it helped.

glo-stick91

HSC
Thank you so much -may-cat-:)

We're looking at the Bronze age and the 13th and 14th centuries BC primarily, but we're allowed to stretch that time frame a few hundred years if necessary.

What you said about trade is really helpful. it gives me alot more angles to go with in my report

Thank you again:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)