• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

CoraL reef ecosystems :: management strategies (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
anyone willing to help me out :D ..
coral reef ecosystems - especially management strategies :uhhuh: .
rahhH.. this is really getting me - coz i have nooo idea where to start :confused: :mad:

aLsooo.. anyone do alpine ecosystems for their 2nd ecosystem case study :confused: .. Mt. Everest = alpine ecosystem according to my geo teacher :eek: ..

but i'm somewhat lost

Last edited by a moderator:

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
I can definitely help with coral reefs.
Do you have a particular case study that you want management strategy examples for? I have plenty for the Great Barrier Reef.

You mainly need to know what problems are and then how management can reduce or reverse these problems - the GBR has zones to limit human impacts in certain areas, there are restrictions on activities, there are rules for fishing and shipping...
When you understand why it's important to manage areas I'm sure you'll be able to think of plenty of examples of strategies.

HSC
N/A
rahhhhH
[sorry, excuse the grring..]

oKay.. i think i understand what you mean.. and.. yes.. we are doing the GBR as our ecosystem too [how totally interesting aye! LoL]

no but on a more serious note.. would you happen to have any resources .. like books .. links .. anything!! [LoL] that i could use.. that you wouldnt mind sharing :p hehe..

thanks a heap mate!

Last edited by a moderator:

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
if you refer to the Macquarie Study Guide for Geography, they have a very detailed and well written casestudy on The Great Barrier Reef.

you could get it from a library or even buy one because they're really good for geography and knowing the content and take notes from The Great Barrier Reef Section.

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
Don't hate the GBR, it's the greatest place on earth! :uhhuh:
[I'm planning my second trip there for next year ;) Love it]

I didn't use any books for my research. Google is really useful if you type in GBR and then the particular issue that you want to know more about management for. The GBRMPA website has plenty of detail about zoning. The WWF site was useful for a lot of issues, it has a whole GBR section and a section on climate change in the GBR specifically. Queensland government sites would be helpful too.
I'd also suggest looking at the impacts of tourism, industry [shipping, fishing, aquaculture] and changes in land use around the area. It seems like a lot of background, but the more you know the easier it is to think of examples.

If you're interested in using study guides that's fine, and good for you, but nothing sticks in your mind like your own research.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
ok i thought you the person posting before just wanted something on Coral Reef Ecosystems rather than GBR in specific.

I refered that person to Macquarie cos it talks about GBR but also Coral Reefs in general.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
you can do proper research using the study guides anyway. its whether or not you are disciplined enough to not just copy it out.

macquarie is very good for this case study.

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
I didn't mean to seem like I was bashing study guides or anything. If they are helpful then that's great. :)
My teacher just advised us not to use them, Macquarie in particular, because he didn't think they were the most helpful book for our class.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
really?

i find the macquarie study guides better than global interactions 2.

Whats the reason ur teacher advises against it?

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
I'm not too sure why he is against them. I never bought one or read one though, I didn't have the need.
Most of our notes were dictated to us, and the others we researched for ourselves.

I didn't find GI2 to be helpful at all either. We were told that it's best for the People and Economic Activity/Urban Places [or whatever they're called] modules, and that a Heinemann one was good for Ecosystems.

It does depend on what your case studies are though, I know for some people their only source can be a text book or study guide.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
thats interesting cos Global Interactions 2 is made by Heinemann and thats the textsbook used everyone I know doing HSC Geo.

Unless there's another textbook out there?

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
Maybe it's another publisher then. There is definitely more than one textbook.

I'm trying to think of the name. It had a weird grid on the cover, and was really thick [4cm?]. With coloured pages and all sorts of weird rounded rectangle boxes.
The writing was quite enthusiastic, we'd spend half of the lesson making fun of it.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
midnight said:
I didn't mean to seem like I was bashing study guides or anything. If they are helpful then that's great. :)
My teacher just advised us not to use them, Macquarie in particular, because he didn't think they were the most helpful book for our class.
you dont use them as a textbook for class but just for extra stuff. its really good. the teacher who set the hsc last yr was from my school and she says its good cause its short and covers things fairly well. our class was recommended to use it aswell as heinneman.

trust me. its great to use at home. youll find it a life saver come exam time

HSC
N/A
zenger69 said:
ok i thought you the person posting before just wanted something on Coral Reef Ecosystems rather than GBR in specific.

I refered that person to Macquarie cos it talks about GBR but also Coral Reefs in general.
haha.. yeah, thats true.. i am looking for info on coral reef ecosystems in general - however, we have a lot to do on GBR .. so thanks all .. the links you've given me are soooo heLpful! :uhhuh:

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
lukebennett said:
you dont use them as a textbook for class but just for extra stuff. its really good. the teacher who set the hsc last yr was from my school and she says its good cause its short and covers things fairly well. our class was recommended to use it aswell as heinneman.

trust me. its great to use at home. youll find it a life saver come exam time
I've done the HSC. ;)
I meant that he told my class not to use them, not that he told us not to use them in class.
It's a personal preference though. I'm not telling anyone they can't use a study guide, just saying that it's possible to find useful information in other places too. There's nothing wrong with having a broad knowledge of the topic.

-MuNcHKiN- if you need any more help with a particular area I can give you links for it, or find somewhere for you to start.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
i'm really curious for the reasons, because i personally believe study guides have increased my mark from the high 80s in yr11 to about 98 average in geo since start of yr12.

But yes true for geo you need to read SMH and magazines such as National Geographic or the australian version and read articles on the internet and get a lot of knowledge if you want to really do well in geo.

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
I don't remember why. It wasn't a conversation I thought it would be particularly important to listen to.
All I know is that I did reasonably well in geography by just paying attention in class. Perhaps some of the things I was learning were out of a study guide, I don't know.

Again, whatever works for you, I'm just saying that study guides do not have to be your only option, nor are they necessarily the best option.

HSC
N/A
thanks heaps guys
erm - just on the topic of study guides, i reckon the mac one is heapz good [the green one for geo] - it summarises everything you need to know in there, and all.. yep, and the online tests nd all - priTy daimn awesome if you ask me.. but yeh, i guess you gotta do more than just from one book aye! LoL

soo.. midnight - wanna share some secrets how how i can also go heapz well! :)
LoL

ohh.. got my stupid geo test [multiple choice part] back today - stupid.. 13/15!! and they were both crap reasons for losing marks! :mad:

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
To do well you just need to find your weakest area and improve it. :p

Multiple choice is the easiest. You have a 25+% chance of guessing the answer and getting it right. So just make sure you know all your content and then work on skills. Applying your knowledge to the situations they give you is the most difficult.
I absolutely sucked at skills [and I mean from year 7, it wasn't just a senior thing] and yet I still managed to get most of the HSC questions right. ;)

HSC
N/A
ohh man - i HATE multiple choice, and here you are telling me it's the easiest
*scream*
lol - for some reason i go crap when it comes to mult choice - silly errors, and i sooo cant afford those in the HSC .. *tear*
ahh - i think i do better in the essay questions - but maybe my teacher just marks easy! lol :cool: [though, he's always telling us that he marks at HSC standard right from year 11 .. u never know! lol]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)