• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Cost Confusion USYD (1 Viewer)

tom16

Hi I was offered a CSP place at Sydney Uni.

I was just confused over total course costs.

I am an Aussie citizen and intend on deferring payment of my student contribution.

In the booklet it says if you take the HECS-HELP loan option "You need only pay your compulsory subscriptions at enrolment" - the $604 for new full time students.

Yet on a different page it says "If you choose the HECS-HELP up-front payment option, you must pay your Semester One contribution amount an enrolment in addition to your compulsory subscriptions". Using the website to look this up it totals approx $3,000 (24 units x approx $145.00 each) I'm assuming this is the payment I can defer?

Am I correct? Will I be liable for more than $604? I was wondering because I have a money order made out for that exact amount.

Thanks for your help!

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
two different things you refer too....

There is the "HECS-HELP loan option" which is basically a loan, in where you just pay the compulsary subscriptions on enrollment, and pay the student contribution through the tax system when you earn an income.

There is also the 'HECS-HELP up-front payment option' (notice the difference in the naming?) where you pay your student contributions up-front. You get a 20% discount and have no debt to the government

So to answer you question, it depends on which option you go for. As you say you 'intend on deferring payment of my student contribution.' obviously you are using the first option, and therefore only have to bey the compulsary subscriptions at enrollment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)