• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Course Decision Day (1 Viewer)

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
4 to ~7.30 pm on the 5th.
Why so late?
I'd actually bother going, if it weren't for the time.

Last edited:

lionking1191

HSC
is it going to be as useless as some open days? also is there actually a talk for medicine specifically? i remember seeing it somewhere but couldn't find it on the program.

sullyman

HSC
The way im looking at it and what ive read about it, i seem to believe that its going to be like most open days but compacted into a shorter time period. Its pretty much half an hour sessions jam packed with all the knowledge you need to make your last minute decision before the preliminary round offers are released. Also with scholarship information, application information and ofter useless info im sure.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
4:00pm
Parents Guide to UWS
Don't Forget to submit your Scholarship Application
Bachelor of Business &
Commerce
Bridging Programs for
Mathematics & Statistics
Law Students Association
4:30pm
UWSCollege - Pathways to University
Making the most of your UAC Preferences
Opportunities in ICT UWS & Beyond
Bridging Programs for Academic Writing
Medical Sciences and Related Courses
Law Students Association
5:00pm
Pathways to UWS
Bridging Programs for
Mathematics & Statistics
Health Sciences
Engineering, Industrial Design and Construction
Natural Sciences
Law Students Association
5:30pm
Study Overseas with UWS!
Parents Guide to UWS
Degrees in Science
Law Students Association
6:00pm
UWSCollege - Pathways to University
Don't Forget to submit your Scholarship Application
Accounting is More then Just Numbers
Careers in Mathematics
Bridging Programs for
Mathematics & Statistics
Law Students Association
6:30pm
Making the most of your UAC Preferences
Law Students Association
7:00pm
Pathways to UWS
Law Students Association

Last edited:

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
lionking1191 said:
is it going to be as useless as some open days? also is there actually a talk for medicine specifically? i remember seeing it somewhere but couldn't find it on the program.
The 4.30 pm Medical Sciences and Related Courses and 5 pm Health Sciences should be most relevant

sullyman

HSC
Damn those times but not a bad line up from first glance,

should be of help to all those who haven't made their decision yet, but you've gotta love priority offers lol
only problem is making a decision between the offers now.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
sullyman said:
Damn those times but not a bad line up from first glance,

should be of help to all those who haven't made their decision yet, but you've gotta love priority offers lol
only problem is making a decision between the offers now.
Sullyman, what priority offers have you got?

sullyman

HSC
wixxy2348 said:
Sullyman, what priority offers have you got?
I was offered Forensic Science, Law and Psychology but my main interest since the start of the HSC was forensics. Still theres the niggling feeling about taking the other offers.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Oh k.
I reckon if Forensic Science is your interest you should go with it... But don't make a snap decision either.

sullyman

HSC
wixxy2348 said:
Oh k.
I reckon if Forensic Science is your interest you should go with it... But don't make a snap decision either.
Yeah thats whats the annoying part. Like i thought Forensic Science would be the way to go for me but when i was offered Psychology it made me think twice about my previous decision. Oh well, i think everyone should go with what their interests are as thats what their mind will be into doing and thats what they will most probably do their best in.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
sullyman said:
Yeah thats whats the annoying part. Like i thought Forensic Science would be the way to go for me but when i was offered Psychology it made me think twice about my previous decision. Oh well, i think everyone should go with what their interests are as thats what their mind will be into doing and thats what they will most probably do their best in.
Pretty much.

Lara1986

HSC
Its not necessarily a bad thing it is later - as a scholarship recipient, you get asked to attend some of these events to have a talk to 'future students' and their parents.

Personally i think it is much more useful having it run partly out of business hours as students such as myself who are often asked to come to talk to students can't as we work.

So in a way it means you are more likely to have access to people who have practical info to pass on - i.e. people are working in a field related to their study :)

lionking1191

HSC
Lara1986 said:
Its not necessarily a bad thing it is later - as a scholarship recipient, you get asked to attend some of these events to have a talk to 'future students' and their parents.

Personally i think it is much more useful having it run partly out of business hours as students such as myself who are often asked to come to talk to students can't as we work.

So in a way it means you are more likely to have access to people who have practical info to pass on - i.e. people are working in a field related to their study :)
hm which scholarship are you on.. and any ideas re: when offers are usually released? they would want to announce it before preferences are due for the main round wouldn't they?

Lara1986

HSC
lionking1191 said:
hm which scholarship are you on.. and any ideas re: when offers are usually released? they would want to announce it before preferences are due for the main round wouldn't they?
I have the UWS Academic Excellence Scholarship; UWS Blacktown City Council Academic Excellence Scholarship plus the Blacktown Council Tertiary Scholarship (not UWS related - but UWS seems to be a big bonus to the people who decide who gets it - keep an eye out for info if you live in blacktown council - you can apply once you've completed a year of uni).

I found out pre offers being released - they do that because they 'guarantee' your place irrespective of your UAC preferences, althogh the likelihood of ont getting the course with a high 90s UAI is pretty low :)

the UWS Ac Ex one i found out sometime around December 20 and the Blacktown UWS Ac Ex one i found out sometime in the first 2 weeks of January.

But that said - this was back in 2005 so it may have changed since then.

lionking1191

HSC
Lara1986 said:
I have the UWS Academic Excellence Scholarship; UWS Blacktown City Council Academic Excellence Scholarship plus the Blacktown Council Tertiary Scholarship (not UWS related - but UWS seems to be a big bonus to the people who decide who gets it - keep an eye out for info if you live in blacktown council - you can apply once you've completed a year of uni).

I found out pre offers being released - they do that because they 'guarantee' your place irrespective of your UAC preferences, althogh the likelihood of ont getting the course with a high 90s UAI is pretty low :)

the UWS Ac Ex one i found out sometime around December 20 and the Blacktown UWS Ac Ex one i found out sometime in the first 2 weeks of January.

But that said - this was back in 2005 so it may have changed since then.
hm thanks, did you answer my ques about scholarhips before? oO

is the academic scholarship given on basis of uai only? i'm undecided between unsw or uws med as my first preference atm and scholarships obviously needs to be factored into consideration... there are no priority offers either so i don't know what's happening.

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
Hey guys,

The event tonight is between 4-8pm, you can actually come and go at whatever time you please, you don't need to attend for the entire duration. The event is held in the afternoon / evening as many students come along with their parents who are generally only available outside of work hours.

There are a range of presentations on offer. There will be a presentation about medical sciences and related courses (which will cover B Medicine/Surgery) at 4.30pm in presentation room 4 first floor in building EA (thats the big new building). To check out what other presentations are on go to : UWS Course Decision Day 2009

Also, there will be academics there from all the areas of study available at UWS so it is a prime opportunity to ask any last minute questions before you lock in your preferences. They wil be available for the duration of the event in their designated areas, so if there are no presentations that you are interested in attending, you can pop in at any time just to speak to the lecturers or speak to the UWS Admissions staff.

I will be at the event tonight helping out. I am a current UWS student and also work in the UWS Course Information Centre giving out course advice to future students. I hope to see all you guys there!

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
Hey guys,

The event tonight is between 4-8pm, you can actually come and go at whatever time you please, you don't need to attend for the entire duration. The event is held in the afternoon / evening as many students come along with their parents who are generally only available outside of work hours.

There are a range of presentations on offer. There will be a presentation about medical sciences and related courses (which will cover B Medicine/Surgery) at 4.30pm in presentation room 4 first floor in building EA (thats the big new building). To check out what other presentations are on go to : UWS Course Decision Day 2009

Also, there will be academics there from all the areas of study available at UWS so it is a prime opportunity to ask any last minute questions before you lock in your preferences. They wil be available for the duration of the event in their designated areas, so if there are no presentations that you are interested in attending, you can pop in at any time just to speak to the lecturers or speak to the UWS Admissions staff.

I will be at the event tonight helping out. I am a current UWS student and also work in the UWS Course Information Centre giving out course advice to future students. I hope to see all you guys there!
wixxy2348 said:
4 to ~7.30 pm on the 5th.
Why so late?
I'd actually bother going, if it weren't for the time.

Lara1986

HSC
lionking1191 said:
hm thanks, did you answer my ques about scholarhips before? oO

is the academic scholarship given on basis of uai only? i'm undecided between unsw or uws med as my first preference atm and scholarships obviously needs to be factored into consideration... there are no priority offers either so i don't know what's happening.
As far as a i know it's UAI based only, and you also have to live in one of the UWS area postcodes - there's a list on the website.

You should have a look through the scholarships on offer on the website as unlike other areas of the UWS website, this area is actually pretty clear and comprehensive :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)